First Date (3)

Spencer Reid

My palms are wet from sweat. I'm nervous. I texted her saying I'm on my way and asked what's her address and she replied. I park my car in the parking lot and head on up to her front door.

Victoria Andersen

I look at myself in the mirror.

And that's when I hear the doorbell ring

He's here.

I fix my hair and head to the door and open it.

"Hey, you ready to go?" He asked me. I nodded my head and lock my door. He sticks out his left arm and I loop my right arm around his and we head to his car.

"I apologize for my attire, I didn't know how to dress, so I just picked this out since we're just getting coffee." I told him as we sat in his car.

"That's okay, you look nice." He replied as he started his car and drive out to the nearest coffee shop.

When we get there, we order our drinks and sat down at one of the tables inside. We sat in complete silence till I decided to speak up.

"Soo, tell me about yourself." I tell him.

"Uh, well I have three PhDs in Mathematics, Chemistry, and Engineering. Also, BAs in Psychology and Sociology. I can read 20,000 words per minute and have an IQ of 187." He said and I look at him with fascination.

"Wow.. so you're pretty much a genius?" I asked him and he just looks at me.

"If you wanna get technical, then yes I guess I am."

"You don't have to be so modest about it, you should be proud and boast it to the world. Not many people have the same intelligence as you." I told him and he smiled at me.

"Thank you. Now what about you? What's your story?" He asked me.

"I was born and raised in California. I was at the top of my class and went to USC to study Psychology and Sociology and now I teach it. I live a pretty boring life, just me and work. I don't really go out, don't have many friends outside of work."

"Then why did you say yes to me?"

"I felt that I needed change and to socialize more. Plus, I couldn't say no to a handsome man like yourself. I don't come across many men in my life that would want to date me let alone do I meet any since I don't go out. I guess you can say I didn't wanna miss an opportunity." I told him and smiled widely.

"I can say the same for me. My job consumes my attention 24/7 and I don't go out and socialize like the average human does. I mostly just stick to myself and put my nose in books. I'm a very awkward person and I tend to ramble about random facts when I'm nervous or just ramble about pretty much anything, like how I'm kinda doing right now. I apologize."

"Don't be, I find it endearing and cute." I said as I leaned forward and put my hand on top of his for comfort. I forgot though that he has a thing for germs so I pulled my hand away, but he grabbed it back and placed it on his hand and we shared a smile.

"You talked about your life through school, but what about your family? I mean, why teach in Virginia and not in California?" He asked and I froze. I can't tell him about me, the real me. It's only the first date, I'm gonna scare him off if I tell him the truth.

"I- I uh didn't mean to make you uncomfortable, I just was curious and wanted to know about your family. You don't have to tell me if-" I cut him off by raising my hand in front of him to make him stop talking.

"It's fine Spencer. My family.. it's a touchy subject for me and I don't like talking about them. It's complicated to say the least. But to be honest with you, they're not in my life anymore for certain reasons. Eventually, I'll open up about them to you when the time feels right along the way since this is only our first date." I said to him.

I tried not to cry in front of him. It's been a long time since someone has brought up them. And it's hard to bear at times, knowing I have no one and that's I'm basically by myself at the end of the day.

"So what you're saying is that.. you see us on more dates?" He asked me, looking for reassurance. I nodded at him.

"Yes, I do. You seem like a nice, sweet, genuine guy and I'm enjoying myself tonight and I would hope you feel the same way as I do. You haven't given me a reason not to see you again." My hand was still on his, so I began to caress it with my thumb and he squeezed my hand.

***

"Thank you for tonight. The next date, I'm paying." I told him as we're standing in front of my apartment door. He shook his head.

"That's unnecessary, I'll be paying." He said.

"You're gonna have to let me pay at least once." I replied, but I don't think I'm gonna win this conversation.

"You pay me with your company, that's enough for me." He told me, which made me smile.

We stared into each others eyes, in complete and utter silence. A comfortable silence, you could say. My eyes traveled from his eyes, to his nose, his cheeks, his lips. Just admiring his features up close.

God I wish he would kiss me right now

I know it's only the first date. It's like he could hear my thoughts because he began to lean in and I was reciprocating his movement and leaned in as well, but the sound of his phone interrupted us.

He groaned and pulled away to answer it.

"It's work, there's a case. I'm sorry, I have to go. I had a great time tonight. I don't know when I'll be back, but I'll call you ahead of time and we could go out for dinner." He said with a sad expression.

"It's fine Spencer, I understand. You have lives to save and killers to put away. I'll still be here when you get back, I'm not going anywhere." I reassured him and caressed his arm so he doesn't feel guilty.

"I would hope not." He leaned forward and kissed my cheek and walked out of the building. I unlocked my door and stepped in.

Wow, do I have a lot to tell my brothers.