11. DARK WINGS, DARK WORDS

┌────── ⋆⁺₊⋆ ☀︎ ⋆⁺₊⋆ ──────┐

DARK WINGS, DARK WORDS

└────── ⋆⁺₊⋆ ☀︎ ⋆⁺₊⋆ ──────┘

NED STARK

TYWIN LANNISTER'S LETTER had finally cemented Catelyn's hypothesis in his head. The man felt threatened, and now he was trying to make Ned feel so.

Touch his children and the Riverlands burn.

Ned wasn't trying to start a war. But he could not let his son's attempted murder go unsolved. He prayed the Martell girl's letter held more answers.

When Ned reached his solar he found Sansa and Arya already there. The elder girl was quietly sewing herself a new silk dress, no doubt to dress more like the Queen. It was a gesture Ned had seen from Catelyn a thousand times. It relaxed them, and Ned was happy that Sansa had found something else to focus on.

Arya was practicing her new water dancing skills, using a stray stick as a stand-in for the braavosi blade she had brought with her. Ned smiled slightly, envisioning a scene at Winterfell from his youth, before he left for the Eyrie.

He could practically hear Lyanna's voice as if she was standing right next to him. His heart tugged at the memory of her knocking him into the ground, a wide smile on her face not dissimilar to his youngest daughter.

Gods it hurt him to see such a resemblance in Arya. The wolfsblood ran hot in her too, and not for the first time, Ned second-guessed his decision to bring her to King's Landing.

"My Lord," Jory pulled him out of his thoughts, presenting a piece of parchment with a blank black seal.

It was from the Watch.

What could Jon have to write about?

He nodded to the guards to close the doors, needing privacy for this act. Everyone he trusted was in this room. Sliding the letter opener underneath the wax, it cracked easily, crumbs of it decorating the table.

Lord Eddard Stark,

Your wife requested I investigate the exact circumstances regarding the attempt on your son's life. I initially believed Tyrion Lannister to be the one behind the attack, however, after a recent series of revelations regarding the dagger used, I have determined that the person behind the attack is none other than Cersei Lannister.

The knife was one from Robert's weapon collection, won on Prince Joffery's nameday.

Nymeria Martell