16. THE KING'S JUSTICE

┌────── ⋆⁺₊⋆ ☀︎ ⋆⁺₊⋆ ──────┐

THE KING'S JUSTICE

└────── ⋆⁺₊⋆ ☀︎ ⋆⁺₊⋆ ──────┘

TYRION LANNISTER

He awoke in darkness, the musty smell of mold and shit filling his nose. So he was still in King's Landing, that was a relief.

"We should kill him now," A slurred accent argued, a harsh bite to their words. "It's what the lion deserves."

"And what of us?" A more pronounced accent whispered, "If Tywin Lannister finds out who truly took his son—"

"Who would believe him when the Starks would want retribution for their Lord?" The first voice snapped, impatient as the seven hells themselves. "We kill him, and the world looks everywhere but us."

"And start a war in the process." A new voice joined the fray, this one male and stern. Tyrion recognized that tone. He'd heard father use it on Jaime many times before. It didn't take long for Tyrion to put the pieces together.

The slurred accents, the hatred for his father, the new voice. Light flooded his vision, although it wasn't much better than the sack that had served as his helmet for the past few minutes.

Tyrion met the narrowed gaze of Prince Oberyn Martell, a sly smirk on his face as two figures remained in the shadows.

"Keeping him here should give us the time we need," The Prince spoke, dark eyes narrowing at the man before him. Tyrion was used to feeling powerless, especially among the mockery of the court, but even then he'd had the Lannister name to force them to fear him. Here the Lannister name was what would get him killed if he wasn't careful. Prince Oberyn squatted to the floor until he was level with Tyrion's eyesight, "At last we meet Tyrion Lannister."

He didn't bother interacting with the prince, knowing exactly what the Martells wanted. Vengeance. For their dead Princess.

And he was the best Lannister to trick.

Jaime was off in the Riverlands, Cersei was rotting in the Black Cells, and Joffery sat on the throne.

It is a shame they chose the least valuable Lannister to bargain with. Tywin Lannister would rather like to see Tyrion's head on a pike, and so the Martell's plans began to fall apart.

"If you plan to use me to exact vengeance against my father—"

Oberyn tsked, shaking his head as he stood up, grasping a knife from his side and twirling it in his hands, "You truly think so little of us Lannister? We do not seek to punish children for their father's crimes." The knife arced down until it splintered the wood between Tyrion's fingers, the blade barely missing his hand, Oberyn Martell's gaze narrowed, "Not yet anyway. You still need to watch the show."