05. AND FULL OF TERRORS

┌────── ⋆⁺₊⋆ ☀︎ ⋆⁺₊⋆ ──────┐

AND FULL OF TERRORS

└────── ⋆⁺₊⋆ ☀︎ ⋆⁺₊⋆ ──────┘

CATELYN STARK

THE NUMBNESS CONSUMED HER. All Catelyn could do was stare at her boy, her second to youngest son, and worry. Was he going to be okay? Was his life finally over? He had been so excited to head south, to squire, and have an actual chance at proving himself. To be something other than the second son of a second son.

Now he was nothing. Dead at worst, crippled for life at best.

All because she prayed to the gods to let Bran stay.

"It's time we reviewed the accounts, my lady," Luwin's voice was far away, barely registering in her head, "You'll want to know how much this royal visit has cost us."

No she didn't. She didn't care about that anymore. The accounts meant nothing when she was faced with the possibility of losing her child.

"Talk to Poole about it." She ordered, hoping it would be enough to send the Maester away. She didn't want to see anyone. She didn't want to talk with anyone. All she wanted was to sit next to her boy, her precious boy, and spend as much time with him as he had left.

But Luwin wouldn't leave her alone. No one would leave her alone.

They were all scared she would break. That she would succumb to grief like the Lady Ashara had seven and ten years ago.

But she was a Tully of Riverrun, a Stark of Winterfell. Steel had been forged in her blood when she had lost her mother and younger brother at twelve, and again when Brandon went south and never returned.

She was no weak woman.

But her children were. Her children needed protection. They were still of summer, and winter was coming.

So she would stay by Bran's side until he woke up. She would stay by his side, watching over him as a mother should. As her mother watched over her when she had gotten ill. No one would tear her away.

"Poole went south with Lord Stark, my lady," Luwin continued while irritation boiled in Cat's stomach. Ned shouldn't have gone. She saw that now. Ned should have stayed here until Bran was better. He should have stayed to support her, to support his son. Wasn't that what a husband did? Wasn't that what she had signed up for all those years ago in the godswood? Something dark clawed at her stomach, but she shook it away. Ned was needed elsewhere, to keep him from Robert was selfish, no matter how much she wanted it.