14. WINTER IS COMING

┌────── ⋆⁺₊⋆ ☀︎ ⋆⁺₊⋆ ──────┐

WINTER IS COMING

└────── ⋆⁺₊⋆ ☀︎ ⋆⁺₊⋆ ──────┘

JON SNOW

HE TUGGED HIS CLOAK closer to him, a slight shiver slithering down his back as he did. The sensation was unknown to him. The cold had always been a comfort rather than an annoyance, but something else in Jon's head told him that the cold wasn't the reason for the sudden burst of anxiety in his stomach.

He turned around and found a pair of brown eyes staring at him, lips turned down in a frown as Nymeria went back to grooming her black sand steed, gaze narrowed at the other men of the Night's Watch.

He'd never asked what had happened to her that night. All he knew was that Ethan was dead and Nymeria was now responsible. His brother was dead because of a stranger.

But she was no stranger. She was a friend. Someone he'd confided in at his lowest.

His nerves knotted themselves up, forcing Jon to clench his stomach to keep his dinner down. He didn't know why he hadn't told anyone yet.

Why he hadn't told Lord Commander Mormont yet.

It was a serious crime. One that his father wouldn't have stood for.

And yet he couldn't stop the tugging in his chest that told him to keep it to himself. Nymeria had been more of a friend than anyone he'd ever known, and he refused to sell her out.

He wasn't a brother yet.

He still held onto his honor.

"Your work must be done here then." He spoke openly to the young woman before him, not daring to look into those cold eyes again. He hadn't seen warmth in them since the night in his chambers and yearned for it once again.

Nymeria's shoulders tightened along with her grip on the horse's reins. "Yes, although I suppose it was only a matter of time." Her gaze flitted toward Ser Alliser and Lord Commander Mormont, "I suppose I must earn my uncle's pride another way."

Jon knew the bitterness in her voice. He'd tasted it himself many times. He scanned her face, quirking an eyebrow up with a sad smile. "Is this goodbye then? Princess?"

Nymeria's lips quirked up at his words, a soft chuckle leaving them. "Not quite Snow. Mormont wants me to stay for a while longer." His chest fluttered at the thought, "I'm not done bothering you yet."