04. THE NIGHT IS DARK

┌────── ⋆⁺₊⋆ ☀︎ ⋆⁺₊⋆ ──────┐

THE NIGHT IS DARK 

└────── ⋆⁺₊⋆ ☀︎ ⋆⁺₊⋆ ──────┘

NYMERIA MARTELL

IT WAS CRUEL, what had happened to the Stark boy. Barely ten and fallen from a tower. Potentially dead.

Although Nymeria suspected that there was more behind it. A fall like that could kill and she was almost certain she had seen the Lady Lannister lingering near the tower later that night.

It wouldn't be the first time a Lannister had murdered a child to keep their power.

She sharpened her daggers one by one, the gesture helping soothe the hot-blooded anger in her. Dornish were hot-blooded by nature, and while her mother may not have had it, Nymeria certainly did.

She was convinced it came from Uncle Oberyn. That somehow he had snuck in a bit of himself when she was made.

Nymeria wasn't nearly as bad as Arianne or the Sand Snakes though. She suspected that's why Doran was so harsh with her. He didn't have anyone else he could temper. Arianne inherited Doran's intelligence with words, but Nymeria was patient. She could wait out her enemies, endure and survive until they tired.

And that, she told herself, was the only reason she wasn't challenging the Lannisters to an open fight in the courtyard of Winterfell.

That and Tywin Lannister would lay waste to Dorne if he caught wind of anything. The Rains of Castamere come again.

That was the only thing the Lannisters and Martells had in common. The lengths they would go to protect and avenge their family.

But Elia's death hadn't been avenged. Her cousin's deaths hadn't been avenged. Arthur Dayne's death hadn't been avenged.

Instead, Doran was content to sit around and wait for something to happen, when it had been proven time and time again that was ineffective.

He had ordered her to stay in the North, close to the bastard she had become intrigued by. What for? What possible part could this play in his plan? Doran said little in his letter, only to tell her the intel was good and they would be making their move sooner than expected. But there had been nothing about his own plans, still keeping up the facade of trading her off in a marriage.

He had been good at that. Arranging powerful marriages. Is that why he wanted her up north? To stay close to Robb and the Starks in case his other plan fell through? To make sure she was in good standing with the North if Doran needed a powerful marriage? Even when she held a higher title than Robb Stark ever would?