07. FAREWELL

┌────── ⋆⁺₊⋆ ☀︎ ⋆⁺₊⋆ ──────┐

FAREWELL

 └────── ⋆⁺₊⋆ ☀︎ ⋆⁺₊⋆ ──────┘

NYMERIA MARTELL

THE LETTER IN HER HAND BURNED. Her Uncle's message had been a welcome sight during her first day at the Wall, but here she was a week later and now she could only feel shame. He had charged her with seeking information, and she had sent it to him, but it wouldn't be what he wanted to hear.

Tyrion Lannister was innocent in the Stark boy's murder, he was even innocent in her mother's murder, but he was their kin. He was a member of the family she had been brought up to hate.

But she could find no lie in his face when he recited his story.

He even eyed the knife with a kind of curiosity, wondering what it could be doing this far north, no doubt.

She was supposed to be helping her family, but what she had done was just the opposite.

She could lie, she realized.

It was a dangerous ploy, but it would work. But was it right?

No, it wasn't. It was a cheap move, and one that would cost her if word ever got out about the truth. A war would possibly break out, and despite her feelings about the Lady and the Kingslayer, Tyrion had been kind to her and treated her with respect.

He wasn't like his siblings. He wasn't like his father.

But he was a Lannister.

She dropped her head into her hands. Arianne was much better with this sort of thing. With one stroke of her pen, she would have a decision made.

Whether it was right or not didn't matter to her, as long as it helped her father. But here Nymeria was. And two sides were fighting for dominance.

Family Duty Honor, she recalled the Tully words. Catelyn Stark lived and breathed them, and somehow they had passed through her to her children as well. And now they had been the first ones to enter her mind. Instead of her own house words. Instead of anyone else's. Family came first. Family had always come first. Ink stained the page as it dripped from her quill.

She was patient yes, but how patient? Could she wait for Doran to plan his royal marriage? Could she wait for her own turn? When he would really marry her to Robb Stark to gain Winterfell to his cause?