Chapter 90 to 100

CHAPTER 90 - Reading Aloud (3)

Since Fei Du had started to be able to eat some ordinary food, his troublesome nature had immediately been revealed beyond doubt. He'd turned up his nose at the hospital's tasteless, watery fare. In fact, President Fei's original idea had been to move to a private hospital with fine scenery and hire a cook, bringing his crowd of beautiful assistants over to chat and making them run any necessary errands as he recovered. At any rate, it didn't matter to him whether he would be reimbursed for medical expenses.

Unfortunately, Fei Du's energy reserves had been void at the time, and it had been hard to speak. Before he'd finished stating this perfect plan, Luo Wenzhou had already decided on an idea for him.

Luo Wenzhou said, "You don't like eating this? All right, I'll cook for you and bring it over.—So many problems. How come you're so hard to support?"

Fei Du could only tactfully express that shixiong was wounded himself; he didn't want to trouble an injured person.

Having heard this, Luo Wenzhou nodded, then rejected his objection, having the final word: "No need for you to worry. It's settled."

While Luo Wenzhou's handiwork was admittedly pretty good, it certainly didn't rise to the level of being able to go on the "Celebrity Cook-off" program. He could only make plain home cooking. But somehow, for the sake of these plain home-cooked meals, Fei Du obediently held his nose and stayed at the public hospital; when he thought of it afterwards, he couldn't understand it himself.

He could only ascribe it to the fact that he'd never eaten a "free lunch" in his life.

For the Criminal Investigation Team, the Zhou Clan case had temporarily come to a close, but the economic investigation was far from reaching a conclusion, and the follow-up work was very complicated. Luo Wenzhou had been very busy ever since returning to the City Bureau, and today he had one meeting after another and really couldn't get away. He could only delegate Madam Mu Xiaoqing to go to his house to watch the stewpot and Luo Yiguo, and trouble her to go to the hospital.

Before leaving, Luo Wenzhou had directed Tao Ran to tell Fei Du about it.

He hadn't expected that as soon as Tao Ran called, Fei Du would greet him with the sentence, "Ge, you're on speaker, President Zhou is here, and he wants to hear something of what's going on from you."

Tao Ran, with his compass needle-like attention, had heard this and immediately changed direction, entering work mode and casting all matters about moms and delivering food far, far away. When he'd hung up the phone, there had been some doubt in Tao Ran's mind; he'd thought he'd forgotten something. He'd turned it over in his mind, determined that he'd said everything he ought to have said, hadn't said anything he oughtn't to have said, and thereupon had relaxed and concentrated his attention on writing a report.

This had produced the current calamity—

Looking at the living Fei Du in front of her, there were a few seconds where Mu Xiaoqing really did think she'd gone to the wrong room.

The last time she'd seen Fei Du, he'd just been brought out of the ICU. He'd been unconscious at the time, his face entirely bloodless, his IV-bearing arm so thin you could see the bones; there'd been hardly any skin showing not covered in bandages. He'd looked like a piece of porcelain that would shatter at a touch. Despite being out cold, his brow had been furrowed, as if he'd been enduring some agony that couldn't be covered up even by deep sleep. He'd looked as pitiful as could be.

Mu Xiaoqing had later heard that he could have ducked behind his car and made it out with a scratch at most and had only been injured like this for the sake of protecting her unfortunate son, and had thereupon, in connection with Fei Du's delicate-featured face, imagined a story of an infatuated youth being carried off by a rotten scoundrel; every time she'd come by his hospital room, her maternal love had nearly overflown.