Chapter 171 to 178

CHAPTER 171 - Edmond Dantès XLII

The thick smell of blood assaulted his senses. Fei Du choked, unable to catch his breath. For someone who got sick at blood, this impact was too strong. He nearly blacked out.

Then, the corpse pressing on him was kicked aside, and the person holding his neck forced Fei Du into the car. His back bumped into the ice-cold car door.

The hand was cold and solid, almost smelling of metal. Fei Du nearly had the illusion that the smell of blood was accompanied by the dampness of the basement, pressing on his windpipe, for a moment even overcoming his revulsion at the blood and making him struggle fiercely.

The person impatiently rammed a fist into his unprotected belly. Fei Du's breath caught; for a few minutes he was in so much pain he had no awareness. He was completely tied up and thrown into the backseat.

There were two people in each of the cars Zhang Chunling had sent, one to drive and one to search him. This car's driver, however, had exchanged a few words with him, then without any warning had risen in revolt, slaughtering his unwary companion.

The driver pulled open the car door and looked loftily down at Fei Du, who was covered in blood, then suddenly sneered and reached towards Fei Du's bloodlessly pale face and pulled his glasses from his nose. The exquisite frames cracked, breaking in two pieces in the man's hands, revealing the tracking device hidden in the earpiece—

Fei Du had expected Zhang Chunling to be uncertain of him; it was unavoidable that he would be searched. At the same time, Zhang Donglai was in his hands, and he was perhaps their future bankroller and meal ticket. Therefore, even if he was searched, Zhang Chunling would still have some scruples and not rudely touch his head, and naturally he would overlook the glasses he always wore.

The driver expressionlessly crushed Fei Du's glasses on the ground with his foot. "Trash."

Then he turned and got in the car, stepped on the gas pedal, and sped off in another direction.

At the same time, Zhang Chunling, waiting for Fei Du, realized that things had changed. The last car he'd sent after Fei Du had fallen out of contact!

Zhang Chunling's first thought was that Fei Du was playing tricks. But then he thought that, after making such a fuss, Fei hadn't even reached his temporary hiding place; would he need to play tricks out of nowhere now?

What would be the use of coercing a driver and a lackey? The police weren't so short on testimony.

Zhang Chunling suddenly stood up, cold sweat coming up on his spine.

Just then, a call came from the phone in that mysteriously vanished car. Zhang Chunling pushed aside his subordinates and personally picked up. "Hello!"

No one spoke over the phone. Faint white noise crackled. Then, someone played a recording—

"...if I'm out of contact too long, the people looking after Young Master Zhang may become uneasy..."

"Then it seems there isn't much time left."

"...At most, I'll put up with your boss's ridiculous suspicions for another hour..."

Cold sweat vied to pour out of Zhang Chunling's pores. "Who are you?"

The rustle of the playback filled his eardrums. The other side said nothing.

"Fan, you fucking..."

Click. The phone was hung up, leaving behind a busy signal. Zhang Chungling punched the tabletop.