15 | zombie

in your head, in your head, they're still fighting

with their tanks, and their bombs

and their bombs, and their guns

in your head, in your head, they are dying

zombie, zombie, zombie-ie-ie

I woke up to an empty room once again.

It surprised me how he was able to slip out without me noticing.

After quickly brushing my teeth and changing into some clothes that Uncle Eddie had brought back, I made my way to the kitchen to begin prepping breakfast. Ma greeted me with a warm smile, which I returned. We worked for two hours, along with other pack members who still hadn't shown any indication of wanting to get to know me.

Eating in the dining hall was still a strange feeling for me; I had stopped going to the one in my old pack because it was just easier to avoid everyone. I silently observed as people mingled about, talking and laughing so naturally. They were genuinely excited to see one another, with wide smiles stretched across their faces. None of which were directed at me.

In fact, it seemed I was the only source of negativity in the room. Grins turned to glares as their eyes fell on me.

Suddenly I felt so alone.

My family was hated by the Reds. My old pack hated me. My new pack hated me. My destined mate didn't want anything to do with me.

My appetite disappeared and I sighed.

These kinds of thoughts were dangerous. They led people - me - to dangerous places, and I didn't want to slip away to them again.

I hastily dumped the remaining bits of my meal into the garbage before leaving. My training began today and I was eager for the distraction.

The field was full of pack members, and I could see a clump of teens that l assumed was the beginner group. Making my way over, I tried my best to ignore the mocking snickers chorusing across the field. I knew it looked pretty pathetic that I was training with people more than 5 years younger than me.

Training wasn't anything special. Some guy around my age was in charge and he led us through some basic techniques that I was already familiar with, but I did find myself correcting some weaknesses in my form that I hadn't noticed before.

I was halfway through practicing a roundhouse kick when a mouthwatering scent invaded my senses. Alpha Rowan arrived at the grounds and our eyes locked, causing me to forget the kick I was doing and just sort of twirl like a ballerina.

I groaned internally as I felt my ears grow hot from embarrassment.

His eyes narrowed.

My breath caught as he started walking my way.

"Alpha," our group's lead bowed his head respectfully, to which Alpha Rowan replied with a curt nod.

"Why is Ms. Willows in this group?" he questioned with a hard look.

The guy shrunk back slightly under my mate's harsh stare. "U-uh, it was due to Gamma Harris' assessment, Alpha," he gulped out.

"Is that so?" Alpha Rowan's eyes burned a hole in my skull, as I looked anywhere but him. Based on our first encounter, he knew I was more advanced than beginner.