17 | complicated

tell me

why'd you have to go and make things so complicated

i see the way you're acting like you're somebody else

gets me frustrated

My theories of the Alpha included:

Bipolar disorder

Psychopath

Brainwashed by aliens

Radioactive spider bites

All would explain his sudden 180º change in attitude.

As he was doing my work, I stood there awkwardly, unable to form a coherent sentence. Shifting gear, I left the cell and went to the supplies closet, grabbing a couple of cloth rags and disinfectant spray.

When I got back not even a minute later, I was surprised to see almost half the room cleaned. Alpha Rowan was certainly efficient. He tilted his head slightly, eyebrows scrunched, as I entered the space.

"You don't have to stay, Reya," his voice was low, sending tingles up my spine as he spoke my name.

Ignoring him, I began wiping the walls. After a couple seconds, I heard him resume mopping. We worked silently for half an hour, finishing before it was even one in the morning.

Alpha Rowan took the rags from my hands before I could even blink and pushed the mop back to where it belonged.

Despite my will, I felt extremely comfortable having him there. My panic attacks completely subsided, and I managed to clean without being on the verge of freaking out the entire time.

There was a tiny sink beside the supplies closet, and I stopped to wash my hands. My shoes were soaked in blood and I mentally groaned as I realized they were my last pair of sneakers. I would have to try and wash them before my next training session.

"You no longer have to clean the cells."

Well this man was just full of surprises tonight.

Confused, I pivoted to face him, noticing he was turned away from me, wringing a cloth out. His muscles flexed as he performed the movement, thick veins clearly protruding out from his forearms.

I felt insulted. Well, assuming he was doing it because he thought I was incompetent of course. But, as I was in no mood to cause an argument, I simply shrugged my shoulders and replied with, "Okay."

He gripped the cloth even tighter, if that was even possible, his knuckles turning white almost.

"They didn't check with me before asking you to clean the cells tonight," he roughly threw the rag in a laundry bin. "I don't know what you're thinking, but I'm not asking you to stop because you're an Omega," he murmured in a soft voice.

Add demonic possession to the list, because I was pretty sure this wasn't my mate.

"Then why are you?"

Abruptly, Alpha Rowan spun to face me. His eyes locked with mine.

"It was wrong of me to make you do that in the first place."

And with that, he swiftly walked towards the stairs, leaving me alone with my heart racing.

~*~

I officially hated Alphas.

After a night of tossing and turning, having my mate's words replay over and over in my mind, I was straight up confused and mad.