11 | crooked smile

how you like this crooked smile?

The Alpha made his way around the desk and took a seat in his chair.

"You will be given chores to do like the rest of the pack members," he said. "At Shadow Pack, our law is that newcomers must take on the lowest rank, as Omegas. This is only until we come to trust them and believe they are suited for a higher rank."

This came as no surprise to me. I had spent over half my life being at the bottom so my expectations were pretty much just as low.

"You're dismissed," he picked up his file and began reading from where he left off.

I will not be spoken to like that!

I wanted to yell at the idiotbrain sitting in front of me, but the exhaustion from our arguing had taken over as my stomach grumbled.

"Where's the kitchen?" I asked instead, opting to focus on food.

He didn't answer me and I internally groaned. My lips twitched to ask again, but we were interrupted by a knock on the door.

A girl entered, appearing to be roughly the same age as me. Her golden hair fell to her ribcage in beautiful waves and her hazel eyes twinkled as she looked at the Alpha.

"Reya, this is Serena. She'll show you to your room," he said.

"Of course, Alpha," she replied, her words sweet as honey. She smiled only at my mate as she bowed slightly. "Anything for you."

I was torn between gagging at the scene in front of me or ripping the stupid smirk off her face. My wolf was leaning towards the latter, but a quick reminder of our mate's rude behaviour shut her up.

We weren't going to pine after him and we certainly weren't going to be jealous.

Alpha Eastwood didn't spare her a single glance as he waved his hand for us to get going.

Serena glanced my way, scanning me up and down. Based on the glare she threw in my direction, she didn't like me already.

I shot her a tightlipped smile in return, choosing the high road as always.

"Come on, Raina," she said in a bored tone.

A low growl resounded in the room, shocking the both of us. We turned our heads to see Alpha Eastwood glowering harshly at her.

"Reya."

His correction was more of a command.

The way he spoke my name had tingles running up and down my spine; I had to refrain from letting out a shiver of delight.

Serena shrunk back a bit, and the desire to shove it in her face was overwhelming as I bit back a smile.

"Yes, Alpha," she composed herself.

My legs followed after her as she made her way out the door. She must've been speed walking or something because I left the room just in time to catch a glimpse of her head turning a corner that was quite far away.

Annoyed, I followed in the direction she had gone. Rounding the corner, my body slammed into another person and two suitcases crashed to the ground.

"Oh my goddess, I am so sorry!" the words rushed out of me as I hurriedly bent down to pick up a fallen suitcase.

My gaze flew up to see a man who looked to be in about his late 30's. However, werewolves aged very slowly after they passed the age of 25, so even though he appeared to be just under 40, he could've been much older.