12 | in the night

in the night 

she hears him calling

Startled, I stumbled back a bit as a tiny gasp escaped me. I hadn't been prepared for his nose to practically be in my face.

The wolf's ears immediately shot up in alarm as he watched my reaction. In a flash, he lowered his body to the floor, flattening his ears as he extended his snout to me. He bared his neck, surprising both my wolf and I. The stance was a display of vulnerability, that you meant no harm.

But Alpha's never did that.

Because it was also a show of submission.

So why would he do it to me?

"Oh no, you don't have to do that!" I said quickly.

He scrambled up in a rush, which unfortunately caused him to hit his head on the hanging light fixture above him.

I let out a soft laugh as he growled at the fixture that was now swinging back and forth, forcing him to duck his head every few seconds. Glancing up, I noticed his eyes were black, instead of their usual honey colour. His wolf was in control.

"You're Alpha Eastwood's wolf," my words came out more as a statement than a question.

His attention swiveled back to me, eyes twinkling with excitement. He bent down and nudged my slipper with his snout. I stepped aside from the door when I understood what he was hinting at.

He practically pranced into the room, sniffing every inch and corner of the place. When he got to the couch, he buried his face into the blanket I had been lying in, inhaling my scent. The way he was consumed by my blanket, it was almost like he was addicted to it. As if he felt ..

The beast stood up, flashing me a wolfie grin as he leaped my way and licked my face. I couldn't help but let out a laugh.

He maneuvered so that he was behind me, pushing my back with his nose as he geared me towards the couch, practically shoving me to sit down.

"Woah, slow down buddy," I flailed, flopping onto the couch. I pulled the blanket around myself as I watched Alpha Eastwood's wolf shove the table away and plop down on the ground in front of me.

He wasn't there to hurt me, I could tell that much. But otherwise, I still had no idea why he was here.

"Okay, I have some questions for you," I said, narrowing my eyes at him. Even though he was lying down, his tail was wagging back and forth like crazy. "Right for yes, left for no. Copy?"

He lifted his right paw up and slapped it on the ground with a huff, as if saying 'I'm not an idiot.'

I rolled my eyes at him. "Just checking to see if your communication skills are up-to-date."

He let out a puff of air in annoyance, but his eyes were still shining with joy.

"Is Alpha Eastwood awake?" I asked the question that had been nagging my mind since I saw him.

Our wolves could often take control of our bodies if we let them. Or if we got angry enough. Normally, we would be aware of our wolf's actions, but if we were sleeping, then our wolf could essentially do anything without us knowing. Although, they didn't do it that often.

I saw his left paw shuffle forward, confirming my suspicions. If Alpha Eastwood was aware of what was going on, he would've taken back control and left a long time ago.

"Okay," I nodded, trying not to feel disappointed that it wasn't him, but his wolf that was being so kind to me. "Do you know we're mates?"

He lifted his right paw up, tossing me an unimpressed expression.