Chapter 9

"Dear Joshua,

It gives me tremendous pleasure to inform you that you have been accepted into our Julliard Early String program. We look forward to seeing you in our 2015-2016 academic year.

Sincerely, Julliard" I read the letter to Louisiana and I could hear her screaming voice over the phone.

"Josh that's wonderful! Congratulations." She said.

"Thanks, have you gotten your letter yet?" I asked her.

"No. Not yet, but I hope soon," she said "I think it's suppose to come on Thursday."

"Call me when it does."

"Definitely." She said.

And a week later I received a phone call.

"Josh it's here."

"Have you opened it? Are you in?"

"I haven't opened it yet."

"Why not?" There was a moment of dead silence.

"I'm scared."

"Why would you be scared to get in? That's wonderful news."

"You don't know that I'll get in." She said.

"You don't know that you won't get in," After that there was a line of dead silence "Are you reading it?" I asked her.

"No. I wish you were here so we could open it together."

"Do you want to meet in New York?" It would probably be a no, but it was worth a shot to ask.

"Yes!!" She screamed into the phone.

"Does this Saturday work for you?" I didn't really have any plans this weekend.

    It was now Saturday and I was in Starbucks waiting for Louisiana. When she arrived she was wearing this beautiful black and blue dress, wait I think it was white and gold. I really can't say because it kept changing colors. But anyways, my point is she was gorgeous.

She greeted me with a smile and she was also holding the letter.

"Hey." I said

"Hey." She replied.

"I think we better open up the letter and celebrate." I said.

"To celebrate what? It's not like I'm getting in." I didn't say anything back. I grabbed the letter from her hands. Her hands were cold and I wish I could do something to make them warm but I couldn't since we were just friends and that would be weird.

    I opened up the letter and started reading. When I was finished I looked at her with a cold and dead smile and said "I'm sorry not everybody can get in," Then I said "But you certainly did!"

"What really?!" She had this huge smile on her face. I read her the letter and she reached across the table and hugged me.

"This is wonderful!" She screamed with excitement. When she was all calmed down and less screamy I asked her how long she was going to be in town.

"I have to leave tomorrow at 1. When do you have to leave?" She asked.

"Uh I can leave whenever I want since school is over and my brother lives here."

"Oh cool." We left and walked around the park for some time and then I saw her. Maya. Here. Now. With him. Lucas. They were walking in the park hand in hand. I stopped walking. I stopped breathing for a few seconds.

"Are you alright?" Louisiana asked me. I didn't respond.

"What is it?" She asked.

"Let's turn around." Was all I could say. We turned around just as Maya was shouting my name.

"Joshua?!"

"Who is that? Your girlfriend, ex?" She asked.

"It's- it's uh complicated. Look let's get out of here and I'll explain."

We left the park and went to another park. There we sat on a bench. I told her the story Maya.

"Maya was the girl you saw. Maya was my niece Riley's best friend. I've known her for about 2 or 3 years. She's like 13 and starts 8th grade next year. She really liked me ever since the day she met me. And well, I kind of liked her too. I know it was wrong but I couldn't help it. And then one day on my birthday I was visiting New York and she was on the subway and she got kissed by her friend who is now her boyfriend. And I told her we should just forget about our feelings toward each other." I did my best to explain the story so she could understand, even though no one could really understand this story.

"I'm guessing you're not over her yet." She said.

"Well the thing is, I thought I was but then I saw her today and something came over me. Anyways, enough about me. Tell me something about you. Got any boyfriends?"

"Haha nope. What about you?" She asked.

"No, but maybe I'll meet someone at Julliard." I said looking at her.

"Yeah, me too." She looked back at me.

    We ended up talking for the rest of the day and until the stars came out. We glanced at the stars and it was at that moment I felt a wonderful feeling come over me. I can't really describe this feeling, which is what makes it so wonderful, but it's a great feeling.

    When it was time for us to depart we hugged and said our goodbyes and told eachother that we'd see eachother soon.

"I'll miss you." I said as she faded into the street full of darkness.