Chapter 2

Eric's mashed potatoes looked pretty good, but to say they tasted good would be crazy. While mom and Topanga were gone Eric thought they needed a "little flavor". He went into pantry and used half of the spices and used all of the milk and he also wanted to add "his own touch", so he spit in it.

Cory was the first to attempt to swallow them.

"ERIC, WHAT DID YOU DO TO THE MASHED POTATOES? YOU DO NOT MESS WITH MASHED POTATOES! YOU HEAR ME? MASHED POTATOES ARE THE BEST THING ABOUT CHRISTMAS." My brother has always had this little obsession with mashed potatoes. It concerns me sometimes.

"No, presents are the best thing Christmas." Auggie said in his adorable voice.

"The most important thing about Christmas is spending time with your family." Mom said.

"MOM WE ALL KNOW THAT'S NOT TRUE."

"Excuse me?" Mom said.

"NOTHING." Cory said, because he knew what excuse me means when mom says it.

"I think my potatoes are delicious." Eric said as he stuffed the potatoes into his mouth.

   Surprisingly he ate every single spoonful of mashed potatoes. Everyone stared in awe as he went back for seconds, thirds, and fourths. Eric was crazy. No not crazy, crazy is an understatement. Eric was a maniac.

    We all finished dinner and presents and it was time for Cory, Topanga, Auggie, Riley, and Maya to head home.

"Can I go to the restroom?" Maya asked Riley.

"Sure there's one upstairs in that room we were in earlier." Riley told her.

"Okay." She walked upstairs and I knew what she was doing. She was going to climb out the window into the tree house to grab the book. I excused myself from the kitchen, where the goodbyes were taking place, and climbed up into the tree house.

I caught her right in the middle of the act.

"It's a good book." I said. She turned her eyes to me and was all red from embarrassment "I knew you'd come back, but don't worry this can be our secret, I won't tell." I said.

"Merry Christmas," she said "I'll have a gift for you next Christmas." She said as she climbed back through the window.

"See you next year." I said. She replied with a 'yeah'.

That was the first time I met Maya.

I was now walking into Cory and Topanga's apartment. Maya was with Riley. As soon I walked in her face turned the bright pink color that it always does when she sees me.

As I'm being greeted a look over at Riley and Maya. They're talking about me. I can hear it, very obvious.

"That's my uncle, Maya."

Sweet, I would your aunt!" Maya says this with excitement.

I walk over greet them both. Riley greets me with a hug and so does Maya.

"Uncle Josh!" Maya says as she hugs me. It makes me nervous and also makes me jump but it's a very faint jump that she hopefully didn't notice.

"I'm not your uncle, Maya." I'm glad I'm not, although if I was I probably wouldn't feel the way I do about her because I would know it's wrong.

"Even better." She says.

Riley does us a favor and pulls Maya away from me.

"It's- it's been awhile." I told to Maya. Why didI have to stutter!?

"Sure has." She replied.

"Well... boy, you grew up gorgeous." I scratched my ear awkwardly and walked away.

    I always had to do this. I always seemed to make a fool of myself around Maya. But I'm glad I called her gorgeous, because she was. Words couldn't describe how beautiful she was. I loved the way her long golden blonde hair flowed and the way her cheeks were always red around me and how she never stopped chasing me. She had great spirit too. Those were just a few reasons to love Maya.

    The rest of the day was pretty good. I didn't want to make of fool of myself around maya again so I played with Auggie all day. Dinner was amazing. Mom and Topanga seem to leave my tastebuds wanting more every time.

    It was now time to leave, which I had been dreading because I wouldn't see Maya for a few more weeks. I said my goodbyes and started to walk out the door. I turned my head a little to see Maya laughing at something Shawn had just said. She looked so beautiful. Her cheekbones seemed to create the illusion that nothing was wrong at home. I knew how she felt when everything seemed to be all heaven outside of home, but really everything was hell. I wanted her to know she wasn't alone, but I didn't want her to stray away from me by knowing to much about me.

    She had me falling for her. I don't know how long I could keep this a secret from her, or from anyone.