Chapter 29

As the town came closer and closer, I had to remind myself to breathe. 

Soon, I would come face to face with two monsters, both of whom thought they could exploit women for power. I don't think I had quite processed what was about to transpire. In an hour's time, I would be married. At this point, I was quite certain that Arthur knew who I was. He knew that marrying me meant taking control of Kentshire. This would surely pose a problem to the King. Nobody was supposed to harbor that much power, especially not a man such as Arthur.

The horse treaded lightly into the village, my heart thumping in my chest. The villagers were already starting their day, feeding the animals, hanging linen, and opening windows as the smell of freshly baked breads wafted through the air. They shot me curious glances as I made my way to the nearest stable, careful to keep my head down and my eyes glued forward. 

The stable boy acted as though he was indifferent to my presence, although I didn't miss the way he was scrutinizing me. I wondered how many visitors made their way into town each month, let alone within a single day. Surely, the village had taken note of Duke Mason and Arthur's presence. Had they not stayed here the night?

Wrapping my arms around myself, I kept my eyes drawn to the floor and made my way to the church. Although I was early, I was sure that they were already waiting for me. Each crunch of snow under my feet made me cringe. My legs felt heavy, as though they were strapped to sacks of flour. I could feel the beat of my heart thrashing against my chest. My mind was screaming at me to walk away, to run away, anywhere but here.

Only one thing kept me going. Mama.

I froze at the bottom of the stone steps, slowly gazing up at the small yet elegant steeple that cascaded above me. It was clear that the villagers took care of it with its freshly white painted exterior and exquisite stain glass windows. Although it was certainly a sight to behold, I couldn't help but to think it ugly. This church would hold nothing but anguish, desperation, and thievery. Slowly, I urged my feet to take one step at a time until I reached the heavy wooden doors. Without thinking about it, I pulled one of them open, quick to slither inside before it closed with a loud thud.

In all the years I had come to town, I had never been in here. The majority of my time here had been spent with Mathew, and it had been at the urging of his mother that we attend church at the castle to avoid public scrutiny and gossip.

It was surprisingly well lit due to the abundance of windows. Ten or so pews lined each side of the church, and a rather large organ sat at the front of the church behind a podium. As far as I could tell, I was alone. 

Hesitantly, I wandered deeper into the church.

"I knew you would come."

Chills swept through the back of my neck and I hesitantly turned toward the right to see Arthur entering through a side door.

I bit my tongue to prevent myself from lashing out and putting this monster in his place. Of course I came, you fool. Did you think any less of me when my mother's life was at stake?

"Where is my mother?" I grit my teeth, my nails digging into my hands.

Arthur's eyebrows rose in confusion.

"Your mother?"

"Here to witness your nuptials, of course," Duke Mason marched through the very door Arthur had just stepped through. 

A man whom I could only assume was a Priest followed shortly after. He appeared rather young to be a Priest, too young. He couldn't be older than twenty, could he?

"Well," he eyed me warily, the Bible gripped tightly behind his hands. "I have it on good authority that you would like to be married as soon as possible. It is highly unusual for a Duke to request such a ceremony without the presence and consent of the King."