Chapter 25

"Duke Bennett has passed away," Mama said, ushering me into her room to shut the door.

"What?" I exclaimed, unable to keep my voice down. "How? When?"

"I don't know," she whispered. "But I have it on good authority that the King received word this morning."

Pressing my back against the frame of the door, I closed my eyes in disbelief.

"What does this mean?"

"I haven't the slightest idea," Mother confessed. "But it can't be good. Lydia was his only heir. As an unmarried woman, she cannot legally inherit anything. Not the money nor the status. Both her and Jane haven't a penny to their name."

Overwhelming grief surrounded me. For Lydia. For her mother. I couldn't possibly imagine what they were feeling right now. Not only were they grieving the loss of a husband and father, but now they faced an entire host of problems. 

"I cannot believe this," I began pacing back and forth in front of the door.

"I just don't understand-"

Wait.

"Does that mean-"

I didn't even need to finish asking the question before Mama shook her head, appearing somewhat forlorn.

"She cannot marry him, no. It is too late," she confirmed, meeting my gaze.

She waited for my reaction but it would not come.

There was no excitement or happiness or elation. Rather, there was only sadness. My life had been stripped from me in a matter of moments. As a woman, that remained a possibility throughout our lives. A constant reminder that we lived in a man's world. It was both infuriating and frightening. And now it had happened to Lydia, someone who had the world in front of her. A life that had disintegrated with the death of her father. It was sickening. Grossly unfair. Were we worth that little in the scope of things?

"Who will inherit their lands?" I asked quietly.

"It's difficult to say," Mother admitted. "Duke Bennett was an only child, much like Lydia, and I don't recall hearing about any distant cousins or relatives. That's why he was so desperately hoping Lydia would marry into a wealthy, influential family. With the uprisings in the North, those ships will be of keen interest to many. The King will have to act fast to secure them."

Leave it to my mother to understand politics. Bearing the title of Duchess of Kentshire for so many years had made her seasoned. She knew more about politics and economics than most, considering the powerhouse in farming and cultivation that was Kentshire.

I couldn't imagine what lengths the King would have to go through in order to ensure that he secured domain over that fleet. With Duke Bennett's passing and no male heir to inherit them, they were under no jurisdiction. I hadn't the slightest idea of what he could do to save that. It wouldn't bode well if the North were to find out about this. 

"Where have you been?" Constance hissed, after I returned to my room.

She had emerged from her room, her hands on her hips in an accusatory manner.

"I paid my mother a visit," I retorted, not bothering to give her any more information than necessary. After all, there were much more pressing matters to worry about.

"Oh," she said, seemingly quickly. "Nevermind then."

She looked around, gazing at everything but me as she took two steps backward and disappeared into her room.

That was rather odd, I thought to myself. 

"Where is Minnie?" I asked, peaking my head into her room.