Chapter 18

"Will you accept this dance?" he asked, extending his hand toward mine.

I looked at it for a moment before hesitantly placing my hand into his own. 

"You didn't attend any meals or outings today," Prince Mathew looked down at me with an unreadable expression on his face, as we began a Waltz.

"Yet here you are attending a ball," there was something mischievous about the way he was gazing at me.

I tried to look anywhere but at him. As I scanned the crowd, I spotted a very angry Constance. If looks could kill, I know I would have long been dead. I groaned internally knowing that this wouldn't bode well for me. Not only was I caught speaking to the Crown Prince but I was also very much engaged to her brother. No doubt Nicholas would find out as well.

"You seem to have taken a keen interest in my whereabouts, Your Highness," I retorted, raising my eyebrow at him.

He chuckled, lifting his arm so I could spin under it.

"Enlighten me. What exactly do you do when you disappear for days or weeks at a time?" he asked.

I grimaced. The last thing he needed to know was how I groveled all day in bed in order to avoid ending up in a situation like this. Yet, here we were. Again. Just my luck. 

"You've already stumbled upon me fencing and laying on fountains, Your Highness. So you may deduce what you will from that," I looked around us once more, determined to get this moment over with, only to see Nicholas at the far end of the dance floor. He was dancing with a woman I hadn't seen before with long red-hair and a beautiful white lace dress.

Before I had the chance to make out her face, Prince Mathew spun me aorund once more.

"Are you looking for someone?" he asked suddenly, following my gaze.

I whipped my head toward him, hurting the crook of my neck in the process. He looked confused but a smile was playing on his lips.

"No. I'm just admiring the general splendor. You have really outdone yourself, Your Highness," I said, pretending to look around in admiration.

He cocked his eyebrow, as if to challenge me.

"If I didn't know any better, I'd say you're avoiding looking at me," he mused.

My mouth fell open and a blush crept into my cheeks.

"N-no. Of course not," I said, dropping my gaze.

How could he possibly know that? Were my expressions that telling? I had spent years perfecting how to mask them.

"Do I make you uncomfortable?" he smirked, his eyes twinkling as if he knew something I didn't.

I looked at him in disbelief. I could not believe the gall he had to ask me that. The boy I once knew shone through all at once, and it took me a moment to respond. Unfortunately, it was a moment too late based on the smug smile he now wore.

Maybe I should give him a taste of his own medicine.

"Of course you do! You are the Crown Prince after all and I am but a lowly servant."

He winced slightly but regained his composure.

"Do lowly servants generally wear ball gowns as fine as this?" his eyes quickly fell to my dress, a small smile playing at his lips.

"When they are marrying into a powerful family, they do," I snapped back.

At the mention of my marriage, he stayed quiet for a moment, his smile never leaving his lips as he cocked his head to the side.