Chapter 20

"I-I apologize, Your Highness," I stuttered, "I had no idea she was yours. If I had known, I would have chosen another horse."

Prince Mathew sat easily on a black horse, an unmistakable crown adorned on his dark brown curls and dressed in all black with black trousers, riding boots, gloves and a cloak. John and a man whom I had never seen before were perched on their horses as well, positioned slightly behind him.

"I'm surprised you've made it this far," Prince Mathew trotted beside me, reaching out to pet his horse. "She doesn't usually bode well with strangers."

He smirked, his gaze trailing down to my exposed calves. I blushed, registering for the first time how I was positioned on Rose. Usually, ladies sat side saddle and I would have had I expected company. Right now, however, I found myself in the most compromising of positions. I would have to take extra precaution when I dismounted to avoid flashing him further.

"Well she's been wonderfully obedient," I retorted, clearing my throat to let him know I knew exactly where he was looking.

Prince Mathew smiled wryly, his blue eyes twinkling in delight, not the least bit embarrassed that he had been caught looking at me.

"What were you doing here, anyway?" he asked.

I shrugged. "I wanted some fresh air is all."

"So you ventured to town alone in the midst of this snowfall?" he persisted.

"Can't the lady enjoy some fresh air without being bombarded with questions, Mathew?" John joked, throwing me a wink.

"Precisely," I chuckled.

Undeterred by his friend, Prince Mathew went on. "Well since we went to all the trouble of coming out here, I must insist that you join us for dinner in the village."

"Oh no, I can't. I'm afraid I must be going. I shouldn't be out past dark, really," I shook my head in earnest.

"I insist," Prince Mathew asserted, giving me his best authoritative look. "Besides, you'll be accompanied by three very capable men."

"Unless," a feigned expression of irritation on his face, "you think us to be incapable of protecting you?"

He rose his eyebrow in anticipation of my response, a smile playing on his lips. I knew almost immediately that he was mocking me. Two could play at this game.

"I'm not quite sure," I shrugged my shoulders. "If you're so capable, why didn't you compete in the tournament a couple of weeks ago?"

His mouth fell open but he quickly closed it, catching himself.

"Princes are not permitted to compete," he stated vehemently.

"Sure," I nodded, "that's it."

I rode ahead, my hair whipping around me in the wind, and threw a knowing smile being me. Rather than catch up, however, to make some witty response, he sat there watching me, an indiscernible look in his eyes. 

Eventually, he caught up to me, his horse trotting beside mine. 

"If you doubt my swordmanship, then I have no choice but to challenge you," he gazed ahead at the village as if he was commenting on the weather.

"You've got to be kidding," I choked in a burst of unladylike laughter. "There's absolutely no way I could compete against you."

"Why ever not?" he asked, appearing slightly taken aback.

"Because you're a Prince. Even if I did manage to win, I couldn't possibly claim victory against a Crown Prince," I stated as a matter of fact.

His lopsided smile returned.