Chapter 11

The women quickly circled around the crown Prince like vultures, ignoring the disapproving looks they were receiving from the Queen for having broken decorum. All but two of us were refraining from fawning over the Prince, and I daresay Minnie was not one of them. She had all but run to him upon spotting him, having been caught up in the rapture and excitement of laying eyes on him outside of meal gatherings.

The only other woman who was waiting idly next to the Queen was Lydia, looking demure as ever, as she waited for the Prince to come to her, rather than fighting for his attention.

I felt a pair of eyes on me and I begrudgingly looked over at the Queen who was eyeing me with slight interest, her eyebrow slightly raised as she looked me up and down.

It dawned on me with dismay that I was standing out from the rest of the women, even though it had not been my intention in the slightest. Lydia was going to marry Prince Mathew. It was only natural for her to show some propriety in the face of the Queen. But I, obviously, was not, and I'm sure that was raising some questions.

She gracefully made her way toward me, an overly practiced smile on her lips.

I dipped into a curtsey when she was but a foot in front of me.

"It is a pleasure to meet you, your Majesty. To what do I owe the pleasure?"

One of her eyebrows rose in surprise, but she quickly schooled her features, gesturing for me to rise.

"I don't believe we've had the pleasure of meeting. Prey tell, what is your name?" she asked.

"Elizabeth Thompson, your Grace," I quipped.

"I do not recognize your family name," she said, raking me over once more.

I smiled. "That is because my father is a baker and my mother is a maid, your Grace."

More lies.

At this revelation, a look of surprise crossed her features, and she did not attempt to hide it.

"You have impeccable manners for such a station," she remarked.

"So I've been told," I said, a small chuckle escaping my mouth.

She glanced at her son, still surrounded by a sea of debutantes, before settling her eyes on me once more.

"At least somebody around here has a sense of decorum."

And with that, she turned on her heel, walking toward her son, most likely saving him from the barrage of batting eyelashes and giggling. He was kissing Christina's hand but seemed rather uncomfortable as some of the women were even going as far as to place their hands on his biceps and chest.

The Queen quickly scolded the women and ordered them to take a seat on the blankets for lunch.  I felt a different set of eyes on me and looked to my right, only to find Lydia looking me up and down with an indiscernible look on her face. After becoming decidedly uninterested she walked flawlessly up to Prince Mathew and curtseyed, before extending her hand for a kiss.

I felt bile rise in my throat and forced myself to look away, seeking out Millie. She was already seated on one of the blankets, gesturing for me to join her, food already piled on her plate. I smiled as I took a seat.

"You never cease to amaze me," I said, getting some strawberries and one of the cucumber sandwiches.

"If you think this is a generous amount, you should see my brother. Mother always has a fit," she said.

"I can't fathom for one second that someone can eat more than you," I said.

She ate one of the cucumber sandwiches in one bite, not bothering to swallow before responding.