Chapter 10

"Will you be joining us today?" Minnie asked, hopeful.

I sighed.

"Unfortunately not. I can think of many more exciting pastimes to bide my time with than taking a stroll in the garden with the queen."

I took a bite of oatmeal, as Minnie grabbed my hand in her own.

"Please, Lizzie! It's been days since you agreed to an outing and the other girls are rather awful. Only yesterday, I heard them whispering about me and I can't very well take it any longer," Minnie's face became distorted as I could make out the tears forming in the corners of her eyes.

She wasn't wrong. The other girls had dubbed her an outcast. When she wasn't piling her plate to the brim with food, she was wearing rather bright and off-pudding colors to the ball. I was rather proud of her but I knew that court life would not be so kind. 

Besides, her father was well-known in the mining industry and I knew she had been sent here on a mission to find and secure a husband. It wouldn't do to remain a recluse while there were Princes and Dukes milling about, looking for a wife-to-be.

I had kept my promise and had not attended any more balls, gatherings, or outings associated with any of the royal party. I hadn't even shown up to breakfast in over a week for fear of running into one of them. Today was the first day I had dared to do so and it seemed to have worked in my favor, for there were no royals in sight.

I looked at the only friend I had made thus far in court. The least I could do is equip her with a lesson or two on propriety, and maybe even assist her in making an ally of the other women in the process. I thought back to the conversation I had with Prince Mathew at the ball, and I knew I needed to do so as well if I was to be the future Duchess of Kentshire. It wouldn't do to become a hermit and shut myself away from the rest of the world, especially in the world of politics.

I needed to figure out more about these women; whom I could trust and what I could use to my advantage in court. 

Besides, a walk through the gardens seemed harmless enough.

"Okay, but you're in my debt," I sighed.

Minnie let out a sigh of relief, squeezing my hand with a giggle.

"Thank you!" she squealed.

As I was getting ready, nerves began to overwhelm every sense of my body. I hadn't seen the Queen in many years. I am sure that she, least of all, would recognize me, but it didn't make it any easier.

She had been a second mother to me, and I had always had a special bond with her as a child. I had thought of myself as being quite lucky, really, for having such a wonderful relationship with the mother of the man I was to marry. The stars had all been aligned so perfectly until they all came crashing down. 

I looked in the mirror one last time. Today, I let my hair fall loosely in long, brown waves. I hadn't worn it like this in a while and it felt good not to pin it up for a change. The light gray dress I wore was unremarkable, just as I liked it. Better to keep the attention away from me. I prayed that Minnie headed my advice before we parted ways and went with something a little less blinding for today's outing. 

"Let's go," Constance walked out the door, as I followed.

I was surprised that she had consented to having me attend the outing with the Queen, but I guess she didn't much care since I had isolated myself in the room for over a week since the ball. Besides, she couldn't stop badgering about Arthur Jones and how she was falling in love with him. It took every fiber in my body not to tell her the truth about him and his pompous ways. It would only serve to get me into trouble.

As we walked down the staircase, Minnie ran down the steps to catch up, gasping for breath as she held the guardrail beside me.

"Lesson number one," I fought a smile as I looked straight ahead of me. "One must not run."

I thought of the day I tripped in front of Prince Mathew as one of the maids yelped at me for running. 

"Right," Minnie quipped, sucking in large gasps of air to steady her breathing once more.

We reached the landing where a plethora of girls were talking animatedly in small groups. 

As we approached, they looked our way, a few of them even going as far as to whisper to their friends as they nodded toward us.

I rolled my eyes internally before I spotted Lydia.

She was with three other girls, two of whom I recognized as twin sisters, Catherine and Christina. Their father was a rather wealthy duke who conveniently owned a plot of land that was situated near Lydia's estate. He owned a grand fleet of ships, though not nearly as large as that of Lydia's father. 

"Hello, I don't believe we have met. I am Elizabeth Thompson, future Duchess of Kentshire," I decided to introduce myself to a group of girls nearest me first.

Upon hearing me speak, their eyes widened for a fraction of a second, eyeing my ring like vultures, before they regained composure. Although I was hardly of any importance, the title alone granted authority. Kentshire was one of the wealthiest and most abundant lands in all the kingdom. 

"Mary Blanchford," one of the girls curtseyed politely.

And just like that, we began to make allies.

"You're brilliant at this," Minnie whispered to me, as we followed the Queen through various rows of flowers and hedges.

I lifted the side of my mouth. Papa had raised me in the world of politics and I knew how to play this game with ease. I had already learned numerous facts about these women that would come to my aid should the time arise.

The Queen had hardly glanced in my direction since joining us. Instead, she greeted Lydia with a warm and inviting smile, offering her the pleasure of walking alongside her on our walk. 

The pair were talking animatedly to one another as I tried my best focus my gaze else where. 

"Have you set your sights on anyone, Minnie?" I asked.

I noticed a blush rise in her cheeks but she shook her head vehemently.

"Nobody that would take an interest in me," she said.

I was about to inquire further when giggling and gasps broke out from the fellow debutantes.

I craned my head around the group of prattling women, and sure enough, in a small clearing filled with numerous blankets and food, I saw a group of men on their horses. One of them dismounted with ease and I briefly shut my eyes, praying this was just my imagination, for I most definitely did not miss the crown placed neatly on his head.