TIDE | 21

C H A P T E R   T W E N T Y - O N Einvites

invites

duckdive:
a technique where the board is submerged underwater so as to dive under the wave.

I found myself sprawled out across Jessas bed after a long shift at the diner. We were awaiting the arrival of Miranda as the three of us were going to drive up to Bakers Cove for a weekend getaway like we do every summer.

"Should I pack this?" Jessa questions holding up what seems to be the seventh dress within an hour.

"We're gone for two nights, not a week" I laugh. "I'm sure out of the three you packed earlier you already have enough to choose from".

"Fine. I hate it when you're right" she mutters hanging the dress back up in her closet. "How's things with Dawson been lately?"

"I think that things have been good, I met his sister the other day and his mother briefly" I reply quietly as I type a text message back to Dawson who has been texting me all afternoon.

"So he still hasn't asked you to be his girlfriend?"

I scoff at her question while throwing my head back against her pillow. "What is up with everyone asking me that lately? We're just friends who are hanging out".

"Oh come on Ains that's complete bullshit and both you and I know that. I don't go around kissing and going on dates with friends but you keep telling yourself that one".

"Well he hasn't asked me yet and who knows if he will. It's not something i'm going to worry about. If it happens it happens, if not it wasn't meant to be so just drop the subject for now".

"What's gotten into you lately?" Jessa questions immediately stopping her packing as she turns to face me. "I can tell somethings up so don't you dare try covering it up".

"It's my dad" I start off causing Jessa to gasp inaudibly. "When we were signing up for the Chancier Surf Meet they mentioned he was going to be in attendance. I did some googling on him and apparently he's some college surfing scout".

"Shit" she exclaims coming and taking a seat beside me on the bed. "Has he even tried talking to you lately".

I nod. "He's tried texting me a couple of times, usually around my birthday or holidays but I just haven't answered him".

Jessa nods silently as she listens to what I have to say. "So since I heard about him being in attendance I've just started freaking out and told Dawson I want to back out of the competition. I just don't know if I'm ready to see my dad again".

The conversation was cut short as Miranda's comes bursting into the room wearing a floral sundress and a big floppy hat.

"Let's get going ladies, I need to hit up the beach so I can see some men" she exclaims pulling me up off of the bed. "It's an hour away and at this rate you guys are moving well make it there by midnight".