TIDE | 23

C H A P T E R   T W E N T Y - T H R E E breakfast of champions

C H A P T E R T W E N T Y - T H R E E
breakfast of champions

dawny:
refers to going for a surf session early in the morning.

My friends made the promise of celebrating last night, and that's exactly what we did.

I woke up sprawled out on the cool hardwood floor, a knitted blanket draped over top of my body, as the sun which was shining through the window heated me up.

Slowly I lifted my head, my eyes adjusting to the bright lighting as I found Dawson laying on the ground beside me, my other friends on the couch, but Miranda and Trace were nowhere to be found.

I closed my eyes in an attempt to fight off waves of nausea. Trying even though my head was pounding, I attempted to recall the events that occurred last night.

Beer bottles were scattered across the floor and it was evident that last night I clearly had too much to drink.

The last thing that I remembered before I must have fallen asleep was the six of us playing Cards Against Humanity, laughing until our stomachs hurt.

Slowly I made my way up to my feet. The room spinning as I place my hand against the armrest of the couch to steady myself.

With my movements Dawson stirs, gripping the pillow I was sleeping on tightly as he pulls it closer to his body in the absence of myself.

I clumsily made my way into the kitchen, grasping onto furniture to keep myself upright while being extra careful not to knock anything down in the process.

Reaching into the cupboard I pull out a glass and fill it with some tap water before sipping on it as I observe the contents in the fridge.

I decided on making bacon, eggs, and pancakes for the group as I gathered the ingredients and placed them onto the counter.

When I was in the process of cooking the bacon, two hands wrapped around my waist pulling me backwards against a muscular body.

"Something smells good" the raspy voice says as they place a kiss against my cheek.

I giggle in response. "I sure hope that it tastes as well as it smells".

His hands leave my hips and instantly I miss the warmth I felt moments ago. He grabs the bowl of eggs from behind me and starts whisking them up as he grabs another pan.

"I hope you don't mind a little help, not that I don't trust that your food would be delicious" Dawson says as he pours them into a pan. "You know you could have woke me up to help you instead of doing this all on your own".

"I don't mind" I respond taking the bacon out of the pan giving Dawson control of the stove as I head to the counter behind him. "Besides you looked to peaceful when you were sleeping to wake you".