TIDE | 09

C H A P T E R   N I N Espilling secrets

spilling secrets

fade:
when surfers pull themselves into the most powerful part of the wave.

I'm not sure who was more shocked by the words that came out of my mouth, Dawson or I. He was standing there, his mouth slightly agape before shaking his head almost as if to snap out of his thoughts.

"You want me.. to help you surf again?" he starts, "am I hearing that correctly? Because if I'm not mistaken the other day when I asked you to catch some waves with me you ran off."

"I wouldn't be here if I wasn't one hundred percent sure." I don't know who I was trying to convince with that statement, because I could hardly believe my sudden change of heart.

I rest my arms against the sales desk, leaning up against it as a stack of papers catches my eye. Dawson follows my gaze and grabs one of the papers which reads Chancier Regional Surf Competition.

"Don't you get any ideas with this." he says sliding the paper over to me. "If you haven't been on a board in years, training for a competition while dealing with whatever made you stop in the first place adds too much stress."

"Thanks for the concern but I know what I can handle, I've dealt with much worse. Besides you don't know what I've been through Dawson!"

"That's cause you won't tell me Ainsley!" he retorts, his voice louder as he runs a hand through his hair in frustration as he realized customers turned their attention towards the two of us. "I'm off work an hour or so, meet me at my truck and we'll finish this conversation then." He says brushing past me before engaging in conversation with a customer.

I nod, grabbing the flyer as I walk out the door not turning back. It seemed as though Dawson was mad, I was expecting him to be happy but I was clearly wrong.

I look down at my outfit, still realizing I am in my work uniform I decide to head back to my car to change since I had some time to waste.

Instead of walking back down the boardwalk I walked through the sidewalks lined with storefronts of the town.

Looking at the displays in the windows took my mind off of what just happened. In the last few weeks I found myself getting closer with Dawson which I never expected, and he was the one person who I knew could help me get back out into the water.

There were few people out there that I could trust, but seeing how he was with me the other day it was evident that he cared about me.

Sure I could have asked Miranda's to help me but she wouldn't give me the push I needed to get back out there. She'd use Crystals death to hold me back, she'd be afraid that I would go back into the depressive state which held me captive for months.