Chapter 2- law of the jungle

Ramona was eight, and it was the days when Baloo was teaching her the law of the jungle. The big, serious, old brown bear was delighted to have so quick a pupil, for the young wolves will only learn as much of the law as applies to there own pack and tribe, but Ramona, as a woman cub, had to learn a great deal more than this.

Sometimes Bagheera, the black panther, would come lounging through the jungle to see how his pet was getting along. And would purr with his head against a tree while she recited the days learning to baloo.

But Ramonas talents held else where. For example, the girl could climb almost as well as she could swim, and swim almost as well as she could run. So the bear, the teacher of all the jungle rules, tutored Ramona on the wood and water laws. How to tell a rotten branch to a sound one, how to speak politely to the bees she sometimes stumbled upon while being fifty feet or so above ground. And most importantly, how to always land on your feet.

It was in one particular evening when she set out for a pack run, when the second rule slipped her mind. She sprinted through the jungles floor, long streeks of brunet hair swaying side to side, getting caught in the surrounding branches. But the crushing sensation in her gritted teeth, and the streams of blood caused by the formidable vines, didn't hold this woman cub back.

The defending sounds of the howls trailed behind her, echoing through the moist air as she ran. Then in a matter of second her hand reached forward for a long and thin branch, using her strength to hull herself up and swing over to the next Like a monkey. The pack stood defenceless below, growling in known of defeat.

A fresh shower came down on there heads as Ramona stumbled higher into the tree tops, her legs barely balancing on the shells of the broken tree stubs. Then after a few quick movements the branch below her broke in two, sending her small body tumbling towards the floor to the wolves.

Bagheera lifted the child up with his arms and stared down upon her with anger. "Listen, woman cub" he said, his voice rumbled like thunder on a hot night. "Climbing is slick and allows much stealth, however, if one chooses to use higher ground they must be able to tell the difference between what's dead and what's healthy" he croaked on ,leading the girl back through the jungle.

She nodded picking the ends of small jungle leaves to fiddle with. "But I would have gotten away if it didn't break" Ramona muttered wincing from her deep cut that cascaded down her backside. "Yes, but now you've been eaten, and in the wild, you don't get second chances" Bagheera made clear while the two entered the stone clearing.

Grey, the youngest wolf cub, and Ramona's closet brother, ran up to her in joy. "Ramona's back!" He yelled calling the other three cubs over to welcome her. They brushed there furry faces against her thighs and legs, laughing as she sat down to be with them. "How was it?" Grey asked.

"It was ok" she shrugged watching as her parents walked over to her. "Come along children, it's time to drink" mother wolf said leading the family away from the trees and towards the cliff side. They where headed to river Waingunga, a place where all animals of every kind could go together and cleans there thirst in peace.

The river was surrounded with animals, from the most caring rodents, to the most harmful predators. But they where not all seen that way, because a Ramona was taught growing up. It's what's on the inside that counts, not the species or the way they look. But there heart.

The water of cold and refreshing around her red lips, and cleared the clotting amongst her lungs from last night rabbit stew. Suddenly she felt the pack leader (akela) pushed her backwards. "Get behind next child, hide yourself!" He yelled. She did as she was told before looking out into rhe distance from behind a rock.

Standing there at the top of the cliff edge was the most feared tiger in the whole of seeonee hills. His blood covers teeth shining down upon them. The animals shrieked back in fear.