chapter eighteen

ROT IN HELL

"are you sure about this? i don't want you to get hurt." mike says through the phone.

"i wouldn't mind getting hurt if it means you and your mother get to be safe." she says as she pulls into his driveway, "i'm outside. come open the door."

"alright." he says before hanging up.

she grabs her stuff and most importantly the flowers she had, and gets out of the car.

walking up to the house, the front door opens and there mike stands with a small smile.

"it's gonna work, i promise." she whispers to him as he nods, "i hope. they're acting lovey dovey right now."

"murray and the others are gonna be here later." she says as she walks inside the house, "jesus fuck." he breathes out.

"it's going to be okay." she reassures him quietly as they walk to the kitchen.

"hi mr and mrs wheeler, i'm el." she puts on a smile, "i got you flowers as a gift."

"i'm karen, thank you for the flowers, dear." karen grabs it, "i have the perfect vase for this." she puts the flowers in the vase on the kitchen island making el smile.

"so you're mikes girlfriend?" ted asks.

el nods as she feels mikes hand makes its way to hers, "that's me."

ted lets out one of the fakest smiles el has ever seen, "well that's great, isn't it?"

the smile looked so sincere and real, if you weren't one of mikes close friends, you wouldn't even dare to suspect that he was an abusive person.

karen clears her throat, "well dinner is ready." she says, walking to the dining room which was connected to the kitchen.

ted follows after her and sits down besides her.

"come on." mike whispers in el's ear and leads her to the other side of the table.

"this looks great, mrs wheeler." el compliments as she looks at the food prepared.

"call me karen and i just whipped out whatever i could find in the kitchen." karen smiles.

"well my wife is one of the best cooks out there. she can make one hell of a meal." ted wraps an arm around karen's shoulder with a smile.

el gives mike a quick look as he nods at her.

"well i finally understand why mike keeps complimenting his mother then." el smiles.

"oh really?" ted asks as el nods, grabbing mikes hand under the table to give him comfort.

"you know what, let's dig in. the food wouldn't taste good when it's all cold." karen suggests as mike nods in agreement before fixing a plate of spaghetti for el.

"thank you." she whispers, "no problem."

"so el, tell me how you and mike met." ted says.