chapter twenty

OH WHAT A FOOL

3 WEEKS LATER

"have you seen mike?" el asks lucas as he shakes his head, "he's probably just late. why, you're sad your boyfriend isn't at school?" he fakes a pout.

she shoves him lightly, "no, he promised me he'll meet me at my locker this morning but he didn't show. plus he was acting weird all of yesterday." she shrugs softly.

"i'm sure he's fine. call him." he suggests.

"oh wow, i was so dumb that i didn't even think of calling him. what a smart idea." she says sarcastically as he laughs, "yeah it is."

"okay but what if he got into a car crash? or someone kidnapped him? or robbed him!" she starts listing possibilities of things that might have happened to him.

"calm the hell down, mike is always late." he says, "now i'm going to sleep, wake me when class is over."

"you're sleeping? we have a test next lesson." she says.

"dustin or you could help me. now goodnight." he smacks his head down on the table with a loud bang as she chuckles.

secretly, she takes out her phone under the table and texts mike though she has already texted him all morning.

el: you okay? you can't just ignore me, you know.

no response.

el: r u dying? i thought we were building something here. where u don't ignore me??

no response again.

el: ok then. ignore me.

she sighs quietly, fiddling around with her fingers as she finally pays attention to the teacher.

//

"el? you know, in order to eat the food, you're supposed to put it in your mouth and not stare at it." will says.

she looks up and gives him a small smile before putting some of the mac and cheese in her mouth.

"oh ew." max suddenly gags as everyone turns to her, "what?" will asks.

"i never knew he could go so fucking low. i mean, yes he's a fucking manwhore but kylie!?" max points to the entrance of the cafeteria as they look up.

there mike was, walking in with kylie, both with messy hair and clothes and smudged lipstick at the side of their lips.

catching el's gaze, kylie blows her a kiss and gives her a wave by the fingers and walks off to her table as mike walks to theirs.

el bites down on her bottom lip to refrain herself from expressing any emotion.

the party knew mike and el has started to hang out a lot but they only assumed they were best friends and not friends that kiss and maybe have feelings for each other.

but all the feelings el feels towards mike is now squashed away. it took her a while to figure it out and after she did, after understanding she likes him and how he said he wouldn't hurt her, he does the exact opposite.