chapter one

MARSHMALLOWS

"el? hey, uh, are you awake?" will knocks on her bedroom door softly before opening it.

she looks up, "hi.... did i wake you? i'm sorry."

"no, no. i just saw your lights on under the door and i just wanted to check in on you. it's late, are you okay?" he asks in a concern tone.

"nightmares. i'm okay though, i'll turn t-the lights off." she says, reaching up for the switch as he stops her, "no, it's okay. you can keep them on."

"will, it's fine. i-i'll turn my fairy lights on or my led lights instead, that way you can sleep." she says, turning her fairy lights on.

"okay then. goodnight, el." he smiles, giving her a small wave as she waves back, "night."

//

"mom, considering we just moved back to hawkins a few days ago, can the party come over?" will asks, sipping on his orange juice.

"i don't see why not, el could even meet them. it'll be good to know someone at school when you join." joyce smiles.

el was homeschooled after she was adopted and was still homeschooling for a few years.

but after hopper died and joyce made the decision to come back to hawkins for a fresh start, she suggested el to go to regular school just for a change.

"no, it's fine. i'll go to the park to draw or something." el says quietly, looking at the both of them.

"el, you don't have to worry. my friends are nice, well except for mike after he joined the stupid football team but he's still kind hearted. it'll be fun." will smiles at her as she shakes her head.

"i'll go, i don't want to bother. it'll be fine, i swear." she denies as he sighs quietly, "i'm full, i'll be in my room." she informs them before walking out of the dining room.

she slowly walks up stairs, playing with the hem of her sweatshirt as she does so. reaching her room, she opens her door and walks to her bed, leaving a small gap in the door.

she grabs her sketchbook, plopping onto her bed with a soft thud as she leans in the corner. she continues on the drawing she has started before which was roughly her dream she remembered from nights before.

it was her, standing in the middle of a city with thousands of blocking her view as it span around quickly making her trapped.

it helped her cope, when she draws out her nightmares or anything that was bothering her, it helped her.

"el?" joyce knocks on her bedroom door as she hums, looking up.

"how about we go to the mall later? when wills friends come over? you could use some new clothes." joyce smiles.

el nods, "that'll be lovely."

"okay. i'll tell you when to get ready." joyce says before walking away.

she turns her attention back to her sketchbook, shading in a section as she goes.