Chapter 16 - "To My Pack"

Reagan

I carefully crawl over a sleeping Finn and head to my dad's office. It's like six am and he asked to see me.

"Hey, what's up?" I ask. 

"Everything looks good on the paperwork. What'd you see with his parents?" Dad asked.

"Perfectly human. The whole house is perfectly human. I mean his dad is a little uptight but that's fine."

"Okay, so nothing is out of the ordinary. I still wonder who his birth parents are."

"He was a natural at the planning. Just as natural at as I was. Granted, he was a football captain so he is use to leading people, so maybe that was it."

"Maybe." My dad shrugged.

"Is that the only reason you woke me up at 6 am?" I yawn. 

"You are going to go help cook at the pack house. I announced the ceremony yesterday when after I looked over the paperwork. I want you to watch for any hostility so we can be prepared for any disputes."

"What are you going to do?" 

"I am going to work with Finn on some more finance stuff then have him help set up the yard for the ceremony."

"Okay, I will keep my eyes and ears peeled." I nod and stand up to leave, "Should I wake Finn up?"

"May as well, if he didn't already."

I nod again and head back to change. 

--

"Good Morning Reagan, come to help?" One of the women in the kitchen, Talia, says.

"Yeah! I figured since we dropped this on you so last minute I should help prepare some of the food. Where can I start?" 

"You can help me, we are working the potatoes." One of the other women yell from the back of the kitchen.

"Okay." I head back to her and start working. 

While I work, I make small talk with the women in the kitchen. Many of them have already met Finn. They're excited for the ceremony. None of their mates appear to be hostile. In fact, everyone seems mostly excited.

At around 10, I mind-link my dad, "No hostility so far and I've been here for four hours. Everyone seems very excited."

"Perfect. We finished the finances and are working on the set up. Ceremony will begin at 3."

I close the link and finish cooking with the women. We start bringing food out at 2 and they shoo me off to my mate.

"We should go get changed." I grab his hand and pull him toward my house. "Are you nervous?" 

"No, actually I am really excited. Everyone I've been working with have been treating me like a pack member. I think it will go well."

"Good," I respond happily and we enter the house.

I change into one of my formal dresses for these ceremonies. This one is a light grey floor length gown with a v-neckline, very simple. I quickly curl my hair and leave it down. 

"Can you help me?" Finn asks as he enters the room with a tie tied in a shoelace knot around his neck.

I laugh and fix the tie. He's wearing all white, he has some white dress pants and a white button-up shirt. It's tradition for the initiated pack member to wear white to honor the moon goddess. The only color is the tie that matches my gown, because I'm his mate. 

"Perfect, we are ready to go." I look at the clock, "Perfect timing too."

We walk back to the pack house hand in hand. The yard is set up for the ceremony, which looks similar to a human wedding. There are chairs set facing a raised platform that has a table with a knife sitting on it. I lead Finn to sit in a chair in the front row and take my place next to my father. 

I listen to my dad welcome the pack and touch on a few issues from the last pack meeting before moving on to the ceremony. 

"As many of you know, we are gathered to fully welcome my daughter's mate to the pack. Today, he will officially join the pack, provided there are no objections?" He leaves the question hanging. 

Met by silence, he continues, "Finn, join me up here please." 

Finn stands and approaches the table. My dad continues, "Finn Mackenzie, do you accept the responsibilities as a pack member of the Blood Moon pack?"

"Am I too late to object?" Announces an assertive voice.

We all freeze and turn to look at the person who spoke.

"Alpha Steven," My dad states, "I was not aware you would be joining us."

"Oh, I'm not joining you. Neither is Finn." The Alpha smirks.

"Why?" I speak up.

"Oh, darling, Finn is the heir to my pack."

--

bum bum bum.

now we are getting somewhere