Chapter 21 - "Still Worried?"

Reagan

I storm into my dad's office the next morning. "At what point is my concern for Finn justified and not just 'because of the distance'?" 

Dad pinches the bridge of his nose. "The feeling is still there?" 

"Yes!" I throw my hands up in exasperation.

"Okay. Keep me updated through the day. If you don't hear from him, I will send a message over to Steven. But go to school, try to get back into your routine." 

I let my head hang and walk back to my room to get ready for school. My worry is getting to the point of nausea. 

I exchange my pajamas for a soft yellow swing dress and a pair of Birkenstocks, not in the mood to deal with matching an outfit or pants. I run a hairbrush through my hair and tie it in a messy bun at the base of my neck. I grab a black denim jacket to throw over the top of it and knock on my siblings' doors as I head downstairs. 

"Good morning, sweetheart," My mom says as she cooks breakfast. 

"Morning" I grumble as I throw a plain bagel in the toaster.

"I'm making eggs and bacon." 

"I want something bland, my stomach doesn't feel great." I grimace.

"Still worried about Finn?" I nod. 

"Oh honey," She comes over and gives me a tight mom-hug. 

"Dad gave me advice, I'm just gonna try to get back to normal." I smile at her and take my bagel out of the toaster to put cream cheese on it. 

I sit at the table as my siblings scramble downstairs to battle for breakfast. As they finish up, I go towards the door to grab my backpack and head to the car. 

"I'm stopping at Starbucks." 

My siblings nod silently from their positions in the car, knowing I'm in a bad mood. 

After I have my Starbucks in hand, the day passes by uneventfully. I go through the motions in my classes. Subtle reminders of things to remember for finals season coming up. More reminders about graduation for the seniors. My friends leave me alone, sensing something was wrong. 

I check my phone religiously throughout the day waiting for a text, call, or even just to see the three little dots pop up on the bottom. Something to bring my relief. 

First period: Nothing. 

Second, third, fourth: Nothing.

Lunch: Nothing.

End of the day: Nothing. 

I pack up my things and grab what I need out of my locker before heading to my car. Devin is already waiting by the door. I leave to pick up the twins and get back home. 

"Still nothing," I tell my dad with an annoyed tone as I walk in the front door. 

"I'll get word to Steven and I will let you know when he gets back to me." 

I acknowledge what he says with a nod and go lay down in bed, nausea finally taking me out for the day. 

I wake up a few hours later to my mom setting some crackers and a glass of water on my desk. 

"Anything from...?" I trail off as I am still waking up. 

"Not yet, sweetheart. Dinner is ready if you're interested otherwise I brought some crackers for you."

My stomach turns and I shake my head at mom, "I'll pass on dinner." She kisses my forehead before leaving. 

I grab my phone, hopeful for a response. Still nothing. At this point, it's been nearly 24 hours. I pull myself out of bed to do some homework. 

-

I wake up the next morning around 4 am and sprint to the bathroom. Nothing really, other than stomach acid, came out due to not eating yesterday. I lay down on the cool bathroom floor, not having the motivation to crawl back to my bedroom.

Sometime later, around 6 I assume, my mom peeps her head in seeing the light on.

"I'll take your siblings to school." She says and leaves the bathroom. Moments later my dad comes in. He picks me up with a grunt and brings me to my room. 

"If I haven't heard from Steven by noon, I will send Carson over to check on things." He says as he pulls a blanket over my body. "If you're showing physical symptoms that means your wolf thinks there's something wrong too." 

"Thank you," I croak back. He leaves and comes in a few moments later with an empty ice cream pail. He sets it down with a 'just in case' shrug. 

I curl up in bed and try to go back to sleep. 

-

My dad shakes me awake. "I figured you would want to know I haven't heard anything so I sent Carson and two warriors."

"Oh. Are you worried?" 

"I think it is strange that he is ignoring my communications, it's very uncharacteristic of him. In the past, he has always responded within an hour of a message being sent."

"Do you need any help with pack stuff?" I say as I sit up a little. 

He nods, "I have some requests you can go through if you're up to it."

"Yeah, give me a moment," I say and get out of bed. He leaves my room.

I put on a pair of loose-fitting shorts and an oversized tee-shirt. I slip on a pair of Nike ankle socks and head to the bathroom. I splash my face with cold water and brush my teeth then meet my dad in his office. Mom meets us in there with an apple sauce pouch and a glass of sparkling water. 

-

Around the same time my siblings get home, my dad receives a message from Carson saying they were met at the border by a pair of warriors. And that they also planned to keep one warrior hanging back just in case something would happen. 

Carson also said the warriors appeared alarmed following a mind-link communication with Steven. 

-

As we are cleaning up for the night, a warrior bursts into our house clearly winded. 

"Sam." My dad nods at him. "Where are the other two?" 

"Alpha. There's something going on over there."My dad makes eye contact with me, a silent way of telling me to go get Jesse.

"Let's go to my office."  

------

Dun, dun, dunnnnnnn!