Chapter 13 - "Comes With the Territory"

Reagan

"Hey ma, is dad in his office?" I yell up as I drag Finn behind me on the stairs.

"Yep! What do you need?" She responds, meeting us at the top of them.

"I want to join the pack. Officially." Finn stated strongly. She smiled in response.

"Why haven't you done it sooner?" Mom breaks into my mind.

I gave her a look that said we would discuss it later and followed Finn as he lead me to my dad's office.

I gave two taps to the slightly open door before letting myself in.

"Reagan, Finn," He nods at both of us, "What brings you to my office?"

Finn looks at me nervously; I give him a nod and an encouraging smile.

"I want to join the pack, officially." He pauses to look at me again before snapping his attention back to my dad, "And I'm ready to start training with you."

"We didn't talk about that, Finn."

"I know. Would you have let me if we did?" I stayed silent.

Dad laid back on his desk chair. "Where did this come from?" He looks between both of us. "I thought you talked about this weeks ago."

"We didn't" I direct my attention to the floor, something on my to-do list that I conveniently forgot.

"If I would have known about this formality" He spits, "I would have approached you sooner, sir. However, Caden brought it to my attention when talking in mind-link with Reagan."

My dad nods and shoots me a look saying we will have to talk later. "Very well then. When should we do the ceremony?"

"Sooner rather than later. People are beginning to ask questions about why he is around. I think Caden and I could pull it together for Sunday." I pipe in, still looking at the floor.

"Finn, you can help. Think of it as Intro-to-Alpha 101. I expect all of the paperwork for the ceremony on my desk Saturday morning, noon at the latest." He states sternly.

"Paperwork is in your middle left hand drawer." I mumble out. "Everything is ready other than the actual ceremony itself. I wanted to be prepared."

My dad checks the drawer and pulls out the paperwork. He flips through it and I see the question pop into his head before he asks it. "I'm going to meet his family tonight, I will verify that they are not werewolves." I tell him. He nods.

"Everything looks good, you three will just have to plan the ceremony and then we will go from there. On the other hand, the Alpha training is something else we need to talk about." He tells us, looking up from the paperwork.

I take a seat in one of the two chairs in front of the desk and gesture to Finn, "This is going to be heavy; you might want to take a seat." He does.

"Not that I agree with Reagan's actions of keeping you out of the loop, she did it with good intentions." Dad explains.

"What do you mean?" He looks nervous, I kick back in the chair. This is what he wanted.

"Everything you've seen about the pack thus far is the happy parts. The parts that make being a werewolf great."

"But there are parts that aren't so great." I add in. "Which is why I've been hesitating."

"Why? What is so bad about pack life?" Finn questions. Oh, innocent Finn.

"Take it away, I can't break his heart." I tell dad and let my head hang back.

"First and foremost, there is the issue of rogues. This is something Reagan has been diligent about keeping you away from. They are werewolves that do not have a pack, either because it was destroyed, they were exiled, or they left on their own." He hesitates on that last note, seeing as my mom was one of that last category.