Chapter 8 - "Mate"

**Fair warning, lots of POV changes in this chapter so please pay attention!!**

Reagan

I couldn't shake the unsettling feeling in my stomach, like something bad was about to happen. I felt bad when Finn simply asked what was wrong and I lied to him. I just didn't know what else to say.

I didn't know what was wrong.

I mean, Connor never texted me saying he found a different mate on Thursday so I shouldn't be worried,

Right?

"Ouch!" I was pulled out of my haze when a hot curling iron touched my head. 

"Sorry!" Aubrey yelled as she pulled it away, "I didn't mean to." She continued to curl my hair. 

All of us girls were getting ready together at my house, while all the boys went to the pack house. We were all going to meet up together at the dance. 

I was first up to get my hair and makeup done. Aubrey was in charge of my hair. I wanted it done pretty simple. She was going to curl it then take two sections on either side of my part to braid away from my face into pigtails. 

"Looks great, Aubs." I said as I admired her work in my mirror.

Next up was Kayline on makeup, she did it so fast that I didn't even catch what she did. But when I looked in the mirror, it looked very natural. She made my eyes stand out a bit more than they already do with some eye makeup. 

We switched up and it was Aubrey's turn to get dolled up. I did her makeup while Kayline did her hair. Since she already had a mate, she just wanted to look like herself. Kayline straightened her blonde hair while I just added some mascara and eyeliner to her brown eyes. Once we were done she smiled at us before we switched to Kayline.

She wanted to be the opposite of both of us, insisting that she did her own makeup. She went all out with a dark smokey eye and eyeliner to highlight her green eyes, with loads of mascara. She contoured her face to perfection and topped it all off with a red lipstick. She instructed us to pull her hair back into a low messy bun and curl a few pieces to frame her face. She looked pretty badass. 

We all slipped into our dresses and shoes before heading downstairs to talk with our moms who were waiting for us. 

I wore a pair of black heeled booties with my green dress. Kayline wore some very strappy and very tall black heels. While Aubrey kept it very modest with a pair of tan, low-heeled booties. 

"You look beautiful, princess." My dad mentioned as he popped his head out of his office.

"Thanks dad," I gave him a tight hug. 

"Kayline and Aubrey, you both look very nice as well, though I'm sure your dads didn't approve that dress now did they Kay?" He gave Kayline a pointed look. She flushed red before hurrying downstairs. 

"I'll take that as a no. Have fun girls." He smiled at us both.

Aubrey and I headed after Kayline and met my mom, Aunt Marie, Morgan, and Courtney downstairs. 

"Aw, you all look beautiful girls." My mom smiled at all of us as she gave us hugs.

Courtney walked up to me next, "Happy Birthday darling, I made sure to match Connor's tie to your dress per your mom's request." 

We held some small talk while we waited for a text from one of the boys letting us know that they made it to the dance.

My mom came up to me and wrapped an arm around my shoulders before giving it a squeeze, "What's wrong honey, aren't you excited?"