Chapter 18 - "It's Crazy, Right?"

Reagan

"What do we do now?" I voice to the now silent room.

"It's not up to us anymore," dad explains, "it's Finn's decision. Until he makes a decision and faces his dad with it, we cannot have him join the pack officially." 

We all turn to look at the scared 17-year-old boy sitting with his head in his hands next to me. 

"I don't know what to do," He whispers sadly. "I don't know where to start processing this, I don't know if I should listen to my wolf, I don't know. I don't know!" He yells suddenly. 

I turn and give dad a pleading look. He gives me a subtle nod and ushers everyone out of the room to give us privacy. I move to kneel in front of him and place my hands on his legs in what I hoped was a comforting manner. 

"Talk to me. Finn, we will get through this together." I feel some of the tension leave his body from my touch. 

He lets out a hefty sigh. "I don't even know how."

"Okay," I pause, "Let's start with feelings." 

He lifts his head to give me a pointed look. "Now you sound like my mom." 

I shrug. "She's a smart woman. What did your father make you feel?"

"I don't know. In a way relieved. I've always known I was adopted and I've been curious about who my real parents are. I wasn't expecting this."

I open my mouth to prompt him again but he continues, "Then his story made me feel angry. How could he just leave my mom to fend for herself? Knowing that she might lose me, how could he just leave her? Like, I get he met his mate and I could never imagine leaving you." He takes my hand in his. "But, she was just a teenager." 

"How do you feel about his pack?" I prompt after he stops.

"This sounds so dumb but I almost feel responsible for them. Once he entered the room my wolf made the connection that he was our father and an Alpha. His opinion is that we have a responsibility to both this pack and his. Even though we weren't brought up in that pack, it's still our birthright."

"What does your wolf think you should do?"

"He thinks we should take over. Together, and you should leave your pack to Devin." He stands up abruptly. "But I can't ask you to do that. He knows that too. You've been preparing to take over this pack your whole life and to ask you to leave everything you know for a pack that we know nothing about feels crazy." He continues pacing around the room and runs his hands through his hair, tugging on it as he goes. 

He turns to me. "It's crazy, right?"

"Maybe a little," I approach him cautiously, "But it is your birthright. Your wolf has a point with that. Do you have any ideas?"

"I think I want to spend some time with him and the pack. Like a week or two." A wave of sadness passes over me and I can tell he feels it too. He rushes over to me. "N-not yet," He says hurriedly, "I want to get some more training under my belt before I go to some random pack."

"I think that's a really good idea. It will give you a chance to figure out if the pack and you are a good fit or if it would be better to pass it to the Beta." I hug him to me tightly. 

"Really? Aren't you going to miss me?" 

"Of course, but this is something you need to do and I will be accepting of that." 

"Thank you," He said, burying his head in my hair and inhaling my scent.

--

I'm sorry these chapters are so short.  I am just trying to get them out more frequently :) 

Please enjoy and lmk what you think - Em