Chapter 17 - Wrong

(Quinn's POV)

Mr. Policeman told daddy something that made him mad. Daddy started shouting and saying adult words. I ran to my room and hid under my bed. I've never seen daddy so angry.

Now I'm under my bed, hoping daddy will stop shouting soon. After time, daddy comes to my room. He sits on the floor next to my bed. "Quinn, I've calmed down now. Come on now, we need to talk." He whispers. I think whether I should come out or not. Finally I do. Daddy spreads his arms for a hug. I jump in, forgetting that he was shouting. He hugs me tight. "Oh Princess. I don't think I have a choice." He cries slightly. I look up at daddy confused. Daddy doesn't cry. Ever. Then why is he crying now?

"Daddy?"

"Mr. Policeman. He- Uh!" Daddy sighs. "Remember today how I told you about what daddies are?" He asks.

I nod. "You're my daddy." I say.

"Mr. Policeman found your other one. He wants to meet you." Daddy says.

My... daddy wants to see me? Now? What? I shake my head. "You're my daddy. I don't want the other one." I tell daddy. Daddy sighs.

"And you're my Princess, but I can't fight the police. I don't have a choice. I have to let him see you. I just hope he doesn't want to take you. Now he shows up." Sam says the last part to himself quietly and angrily. He wipes a tear away.

I nod, knowing I don't have a choice either. Sam picks me up and carries me downstairs. Austin helps him dress me up and we go with Mr. Policeman to his car. I wave Austin bye bye. I don't know if I'll see him again.

Mr. Policeman drives to his work and we get out of the car. Before we walk inside Mr. Policeman's work, Sam kneels in front of me. "Whatever happens, Princess, I love you more than anything and anyone in this world. Trust me with that, eh?" He says. I nod but don't say anything. 

We walk into Mr. Policeman's work and into his room. A man is sitting there. When he sees me, he smiles at me and comes towards me. "Hello, Quinn." He says. There's something wrong with him. I know there is. I don't know what, though. He's strange. I hide behind Sam. The man looks at Sam. "I didn't know she existed. Thanks for looking after her. I'll do that from now on." He smiles.

Sam doesn't answer. He is looking at the man angrily. He looks like he doesn't want to be here. "Well, Quinn, come to daddy." The man spreads his arms for a hug. I don't move. There is something wrong with that man. Now I know what.

I grab Sam's hand and lead him outside. "Sam, I don't want to go with him." I tell Sam. "His face is wrong." I tell him.

Sam looks at me sadly. "What do you mean?" He asks.

"When me and Kaden were playing on the sleepover, we went on goggles on his momma's phone. There was a picture of that man there. Kaden said he is a model and that his Momma really likes him. But my momma said my daddy is a stealer." I tell Sam. Sam's eyes shine. He calls Mr. Policeman and tells me to repeat what I said. So I do. 

Mr. Policeman has big eyes and bites his lip. "Are you sure?" He asks. I nod. Mr. Policeman walks back in to the man. "Mr. Rivera, we need to do a drug test, Quinn is scared." He tells him.

Mr. River says okay and goes with Mr. Policeman. Sam and me wait for them to come back. We wait for long. Sam lets me play Flappy Bird. The I hear balloon's popping. Eventually, Mr. Policeman comes back. He whispers with Sam a bit and then looks at me. "Good girl, for remembering. You can go back home." He smiles. I nod and look at Sam. Sam doesn't look happy. He probably doesn't want me anymore. 

He takes my hand and takes me back to Mr. Policeman's car. We go home. Austin is still there. He hugs me tight when he sees me. Sam sends me upstairs to play. I go to my room and grab my new books. I sit on my bed and watch the pictures until Austin comes to my room.

"Imma go home, Quinnie. Hug?" He spreads his arms and I hug him. "Bye bye Quinn. Oh and well done in school today."

I nod and wave him bye bye. Then he leaves.