Chapter 5: Parents

Quote of the chapter: 'A kind act can sometimes be as powerful as a sword' ~ Mr. D, Percy Jackson and The Battle of Labyrinth.  

Song of the chapter: A Million Dreams - Ziv Zaifman, Hugh Jackman and Michelle Williams

(Sam POV)

Two weeks after we set up Quinn's room, I'm playing with her in the room when I hear a knock at the door. I leave Quinn in her room and go to open it. There is a lady with a CPS badge on her jacket. 

"Hello, my name is Hannah and I'm here to check up on Quinn." She smiles at me.

I give her a small smile and shake her hand. "Come in, Quinn is upstairs." I say and let her in, leading her to Quinn's room. Quinn looks up at the woman and then at me. I send her a reassuring smile and she hesitantly smiles back. 

"Hello Quinn, I'm Hannah and I came to have a small chat with you, is that okay?" Quinn nods.

"How about I leave you two to talk. Would you like a drink?" I ask Hannah. She requests water and I go downstairs. I pour her a glass and some orange juice for Quinn, bringing it upstairs. Once they take the drink, I go downstairs and leave them. 

(Quinn POV)

Sam leaves me alone with the lady. She is smiling at me and sits on the floor next to me. 

"How are you, Quinn?" She asks me. I look at her and smile.

"Good. Do you like my room? Sam and Austin did it."

She smiles at me even more and answers, "I love it. Who's Austin?" She asks.

"Sam's best friend. When Sam has to go somewhere he leaves me with Austin." I say.

She nods. She asks me a lot of questions about Sam and me and food and clothes. By the time it's time for her to go, I told her everything that has been happening ever since we came from the police station. 

Once she leaves, Sam picks me up and sits me on the chair at the table. He places a plate with food in front of me. "Eat, Sweetheart. Then I'll take you out somewhere." He says. I nod and smile at him and he smiles back. I eat all of my food and he takes my plate and puts it in the sink. 

"What was that food called?" I ask. So many ridiculous names for food. 

"Spaghetti" He answers. I nod and Sam takes me to my room to get dressed. I wear a pretty dress and he wears his jeans and a T-shirt like he always does.

(Sam POV)

I take Quinn to the ice-cream shop and buy myself cookies and cream. After a while, Quinn picks Strawberry ice-cream with sprinkles. After I pay for the sweet treats, we go to the park. I haven't taken her there yet and I hope she likes it. 

We walk to the playground and tell her she can go and play there, which she does, and I sit on the bench, next to a woman in her twenties, watching Quinn. 

A few minutes in, I feel vibrations in  my pocket and I take out my phone, and answer it without looking at the caller's ID. "Hello?"

"Hey kid, how are ya?" I hear the voice.

"Dad, for the hundredth time, I AM NOT A KID!" I say, slightly annoyed, but never-the-less, with a smile on my face. 

"Okay kid, I'll stop," I roll my eyes, "How are you?"

"I'm great, a little busy. You?" I reply, thinking about Quinn.

"Well we're good too, your mother and I were thinking about visiting. How's that?" He asks.