MENTAL HEALTH - 5 STAGES OF GRIEF

MENTAL HEALTH - 5 STAGES OF GRIEF BECAUSE SOMEONE HAS TO TALK ABOUT PSYCHOLOGY AND NOT ENOUGH PEOPLE DO

Don't worry, the chapter is coming half an hour at most after publishing this.

In 1969, a Swiss-American psychiatrist named Elizabeth Kübler-Ross wrote in her book "On Death and Dying" that grief could be divided into five stages. Her observations came from years of working with terminally ill individuals.

Her theory of grief became known as the Kübler-Ross model. While it was originally devised for people who were ill, these stages of grief have been adapted for other experiences with loss, too.

The five stages of grief are:

denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance

Not everyone will experience all five stages, and you may not go through them in this order.

Grief is different for every person, so you may begin coping with loss in the bargaining stage and find yourself in anger or denial next. You may remain for months in one of the five stages but skip others entirely.

STAGE 1 - DENIAL

The names of the stages pretty much speak for themselves. During the denial stage, you keep telling yourself that what happened didn't really happen. The results are wrong, you're not terminally ill. She didn't die, she'll come over soon. He's just having a bad day, he didn't really break up with you.

STAGE 2 - ANGER

You're just angry. Why is this happening to you? You hate him, how dare he leave you? Why did God let this happen? Anger is normal. Let yourself be angry. What is important, is being in control of that anger.

STAGE 3 - BARGAINING

This one is different. It sort of has two meanings. The first one is a bunch of what if's, if only's: If only you have called her that night, she wouldn't have died. If only you went to the doctor sooner, you wouldn't be ill. 

The second meaning is what I am more familiar with. It's trying to 'find the light' in the situation. It sometimes is confused with the last stage - acceptance, but its far from it. She might've left you, but at least she left the dog. She died, but at least you are alive. You're terminally ill, but you made so many memories. This time of bargaining is basically trying to feel okay.

STAGE 4 - DEPRESSION

Sadness. Emotion loss. Why carry on living? I don't know how to move forward. What am I supposed to do now that he's gone?

Like the other stages of grief, depression can be difficult and messy. It can feel overwhelming. You may feel foggy, heavy, and confused.

Depression may feel like the inevitable landing point of any loss. However, if you feel stuck here or can't seem to move past this stage of grief, talk with a mental health expert. A therapist can help you work through this period of coping.

STAGE 5 - ACCEPTANCE

Acceptance is not necessarily a happy or uplifting stage of grief. It doesn't mean you've moved past the grief or loss. It does, however, mean that you've accepted it and have come to understand what it means in your life now. It's not okay that it happened, but it happened and I am now okay.

Sources:  https://www.healthline.com/health/stages-of-grief