Nine

Kuroko awoke to the sound of banging at his front door. He released a meddled groan, glancing at the clock listlessly. It was 4 in the fucking morning, who could be up at this time?

Begrudgingly, Kuroko arose from his bed (bed hair amazing as usual) and descended to the door. Whoever this was, they better be worth his goddamn beauty sleep. Approaching the door, Kuroko whipped it open, ready to scream at whoever was crazy enough to be up this early, only to freeze at the sight of his grandmother standing on his porch. She looked cold and tired.

"Obaasan, what are you doing here?! Better yet, why are you here so early in the morning and where's your jacket?! You could catch a cold!" Kuroko ushered the woman into his small living room, rushing to get her a blanket and something warm to drink.

"I apologize for the intrusion, Tetsuya. I just need some place to stay for the meantime," the blunette jolted at her words. Her place wasn't far from here, why did she have to stay here? Not that he would mind her company. The two got along rather nicely. His obaasan was like a second mother to him. She practically raised him!

Kuroko Tame was her name. Their family had a thing for keeping the 'T' to 'K' ratio going. The woman had old pale skin and even paler blue hair. The woman was the exact image of his mother, just a few decades older.

"Of course, obaasan. Though, may I ask why?" Kuroko wrapped the blanket around the old woman's shoulders, placing the warm cup of tea into her shivering hands.

Tame gave her thanks before taking a sip of the beverage. "My house is being reconstructed. Termites and some nasty rodents have infested my beautiful home. I need them gone as soon as possible." Kuroko let out an amused, albeit tired, smile.

"You always have the best explanations, obaasan. Entertaining as always." The two sat in comfortable silence for a few minutes. Tame drinking her tea and Kuroko yawning every so often.

"Ne~ Tetsuya, you have school in a few hours, am I right? You should get some sleep."

The teal-head gave a curt shake of his head. "It's alright. I'll wait till you finish and walk you to my room. You can sleep there for the time-being." Kuroko stood, heading up the short stairs to readjust his bed. Arriving back down, he noticed the empty cup on the coffee table with his grandmother preoccupied with some pictures hung on the wall opposite of her.

Kuroko quickly washed the cup before directing Tame up the stairs. "Tetsuya, you should be sleeping in your own bed. I'm not that old, I can handle the couch." Kuroko expected that to be her answer. Releasing a sigh, the teal-head shook his head. "No, obaasan. As your grandson it is my duty to cater to you. Come on, up we go."

"I am not a child either, Tetsuya."

Tame exhaled inwardly. Kuroko was always so stubborn. Selfless yet stubborn. Complying, Tame allowed Kuroko to help her onto the bed. Tucking her in and turning off the lights, Kuroko mumbled a small, "Good night- err morning, obaasan."

"Good night, Tetsuya," was her simple reply.

xXx

Kuroko didn't know how long it had been. He felt something soft yet uncomfortable underneath him. His eyes were so heavy he couldn't even open them. The only senses he could use at the moment were his sense of smell, touch, and hearing. And right now, all he could hear was the banging of pots and the smell of fire. Fire? Wait...