Chapter Five

Once the meeting was done and over, Bucky and Y/N both left at the same time. Bucky was kind enough to hold the door open for her as they made their way back to the street, but Y/N's goal was to get back to her car as quick as possible. So she gave him a curt thank you and moved quickly to leave.

"Y/N!" Bucky shouted just as she was less than 10 feet away. She paused with a cringe on her face before turning back to him. He was walking hesitantly to catch up with her. "Listen, I know it's been a few years."

"A few is an understatement," she mumbled and he heard, but decided to move on.

"I just- I," he stuttered. What the hell was he doing?  "Would you want to get coffee? Catch up some? I-," Before he could finish, she cut him off.

"Listen, as great as that sounds," she tried to say nicely, but he could see the nerves in her face. "I actually have plans right after this." He deflated some in his spot. She noticed and though she thought she wouldn't care if she hurt him after all these years, something deep down proved that thought was wrong. "I-I just haven't seen my family in a while, and the little time I have left here this weekend, I wanted to spend time with them where I could."

"Right, right," Bucky tried to brush off unbothered, but failed. "I'm sure your dad misses you, and you him."

"Yeah, it's been a few years. That and I haven't been back in the city in 10 years, so I have a lot to catch up on," she nodded.

"Wait, you haven't been back here in 10 years?" he asked shocked. He thought she had a least been in town throughout the years. Even if he hadn't seen her.

"Um, yeah. I kinda..." she hesitated, but figured where would the truth hurt? "Guess I wasn't ever really ready to get back here." Bucky knew what she meant even if she wasn't saying it verbatim, and it hurt his heart knowing he was the cause. Well, I guess both of them were, not just him. "That plus starting up Horizon, it was hard the first few years. But the family still sees each other for the holidays."

"That's right. Colorado," Bucky nodded.

Y/N had kept forgetting for some reason that Bucky and her father were with each other at least once a week most of the time. Always hanging out and doing guy things, or really, father and son types of things. Meaning he knew of, if not actually knew, Sherri, Denise, John, and Chloe too. If he didn't, he wouldn't know about the yearly Colorado trip.

"Right," Y/N nodded with pursed lips, putting it all together and Bucky realized.

"Oh, God sorry. I promise I'm not stalking you, it's just your dad and I-" he started to defend his knowledge.

"It's fine James, really," she said with a wave of her hand and a slight chuckle. One he never expected coming from her. And the name... He wasn't sure the last time he heard her say Bucky. As soon as they decided to bring an end to their relationship, that nickname never passed her lips again. "I know you and my dad are close."

"You're not upset at that?" he asked, slightly confused.

"I'm not evil. No matter how much you may think," she mumbled the last part. "I-I... I know the relationship you two share. You've had it since the beginning of time practically. I wouldn't dream to take that from either of you."

Bucky didn't respond. Because all he could do was look at her with a longing look. God, he missed her. Sure he held some anger from where they ended things, but he had moved on for the most part. Now he just missed his best friend. The girl he grew up loving. From best friends to girlfriend, to eventually fiance and wife. He missed her. Just who she was as a person when resent wasn't a feeling she had toward you.