Chapter Nineteen

The next day was a lot better than the day before. With rest and continuous medication, the pain was tolerant.

She slept in a little longer than she was planning, but was able to get around early nonetheless.

"Morning, sleepyhead," Chloe chirped as Y/N came down the stairs dressed in lounge wear for the day.

Y/N quirked her head to the side, surprised by the earlybird teen.

"What's got you up this time of the day?" Y/N teased, still slightly limping to the island, where Chloe slid a fresh cup of coffee her way. "Thanks..." she smiled apprehensively at the java. "But really. You usually sleep in until one in the afternoon. It's 9 am. What's up?"

"Nothing," Chloe shrugged, drinking from her own cup. "Mom had work and Dad had some things to do today, so I'm in charge of making sure you're alive and well."

"Hmm," Y/N hummed as she took a sip from the mug. "Very adult of you if I might add."

"Thanks. Figured I'd get in the habit of it soon, since college is around the corner," she shrugged.

Chloe had always been a very chill and mellow soul. She wasn't super energetic around people and always had a sense of calm with her persona. She loved photography and art, but also dabbled in gymnastics. However, hated the idea of being a cheerleader as it wasn't her scene.

Rebecca, Bucky's sister, was close to the opposite and it was crazy how they ended up being the best of friends.

Rebecca was part of the student council at school, a very spritely and lively person at any student organized assembly. She was the captain of the volleyball team and girls soccer team. Y/N had rubbed off on her growing up to where she was also an advocate for a clean and healthy world. So much so, she joined the debate team and was a co-captain for the group.

The two bonded from the close families just like Bucky and Y/N had. They did almost everything together all the time, so the few times she was home, Y/N took advantage of it while she was there too.

"Speaking of college, I haven't asked you about what your plans are," Y/N sat slowly in a bar stool and leaned partially as she waited for an answer.

"I have a few ideas," Chloe jumped on the counter and sat criss-crossed. If her mother were to walk in, she'd be smacked upside the head for it.

"Those being?" Y/N provoked.

"Well, Boston University is my top," she started. She had a cousin that lived in Boston just a few years older than her that she was extremely close with too and would visit multiple times a year. That cousin being a sophomore at Harvard herself. "Harvard is attainable, but not sure if I want that pressure."

"Understandable," Y/N nodded.

"To stay close to home, I applied to St. Joseph's and St. John's University. But really I just applied to appease Mom," Chloe stirred her drink.

"Boston is your number one?" Y/N asked. She nodded in response. "You'll get in, easy. Hell, if you wanted to go to Harvard, you'd get in easily. You're stupidly smart."

"Working on a photography scholarship in hopes of getting housing paid for and some tuition too," she mentioned.

"What?! Chloe, that's great! Do you have some portfolios you've sent in already?" Y/N asked with pride.

"Eh, I have a few collections that I could send in, but I feel like I need a few more options. The aesthetic I'm trying to capture hasn't really been there..." Chloe sighed, leaning her chin in her hand.

"What kind of aesthetic?"

"If I saw it I'd know, but I haven't seen it."

"Hm," Y/N said, mimicking her position as she thought. "Oh! I saw on the news that there is a food truck festival downtown. It's just down the way from the farmers market area. Maybe your aesthetic is there!"