Chapter Twenty-One

It's been 2 months since she had been back in California. The amount of phone calls and facetimes had tripled since the last time around. The well spent time in Brooklyn made it harder for her to continue on with her normal life.

With no bad relationships there any longer, the want to come back was stronger and more augmented than ever.

"What's been going on with you lately?" Donna came in.

Donna was one of her co-founders. Someone she met in college and had helped grow this entire company with. She was also the cash mule when it came to building it. Without Donna's family riches, they would have been about 100 steps behind where they started.

So to give the bullet points, Y/N was in charge of making the meetings, working with the clients to figure out their wants and needs, and how they could better be efficient. But Donna was in charge of finances and final say on where their business went.

There were a few other people who were in the higher ups, but Y/N and Donna were the main head honchos.

"Going on with me?" Y/N shrugged, mindlessly clicking things on her computer while she slouched with her chin in her hand.

"Don't act like it isn't obvious," Donna chuckled before sitting down in the seat in front of her desk. "You're usually all business at work and I have to drag you away. Lately, you've been leaving at a reasonable time and seem to be making some boundaries."

"Would you rather I didn't?" Y/N countered, finally looking up with a smirk on her lips.

"You know what I mean," Donna rolled her eyes playfully. "What's going on?"

"I don't know," Y/N let out a big sigh. "I guess I'm just homesick after hanging out with old friends and my family after so long."

"Went there for divorce papers and came back depressed after signing them. Explain how that works..." Her co worker stood and sat on the top of her desk. A casual conversation making its way into the atmosphere.

"It's not even about the divorce papers," Y/N's cheeks flushed as she tried to avoid eye contact. "I just miss seeing my family as often."

"Don't believe the first half of that, but continue," the dark haired woman nodded.

"There's nothing more to say. I just miss being closer to my family. But we both know, we're too young of a company to-"

"About that. I was actually coming in here to talk to you about a possible new business idea," she cut her off.

"Ok, back to work I see," Y/N chuckled, slightly lost at the immediate redirection from personal life to biz.

"Sorry, no," Donna waved off. "It has to do with you and your family as well."

"My family and the company go hand in hand?"

"Just shut up for a second and let me explain," she hopped off her desk and moved around to the other side of the desk, leaning on Y/N's side as she fell back in her chair ready for her proposal.

Y/N gave her the hand motion that showed her to continue.

"You know those business cards you handed out in the farmer's market back in Brooklyn?"

"Yeah..."

"Well a few of the businesses got a hold of us and wanted to set up some consultations."

"Oh, really? That's great!"

"I know! But it's a little more than just a consultation," Donna explained, shrugging her shoulders as she crossed her arms. "It's going to take more than a zoom call and what not. I want to see how their business runs and what resources they're using everyday to get an idea of where they need help."