chapter ii. array

✣✣✣

chapter ii. array

✣✣✣

Present...

"Welcome!"

The jingle sound of the bell at the front door and the new waitress' voice welcoming the patron pulls your attention away from the freshly baked bread you are shelving in at the counter. The sight of a group of college girls entering the shop deflates your mood almost instantly, and you turn back to finish your task while trying your best to hide and ignore the disappointment that is slowly creeping up on you.

As you are placing up the final pieces of bread into the glass display case, you suddenly feel like you are being closely watched. Straightening up, you quickly find that you indeed have someone watching you. Standing right beside you with her eyes on you is your friend and co-worker, Naeun, who also has a smug grin on her face with a lot of secret and mischief written all over it.

"Girl, you got it bad," she mutters softly with a chuckle, not enough for the entire shop to hear what she said, but still enough for you to catch it.

"What are you talking about?"

Shaking her head, she gives you a scoff. "Don't play dumb with me," she says, pointing her chin up towards the clock on the wall. "It's almost time for him to come in, isn't it?"

You follow her gaze towards the clock in the wall, playing it off as if you have not spent the last ten minutes sneaking glances towards it. Biting your lips, you wish you could hide your face as you feel your cheeks burning, but it is hard to escape your good friend's attentive gaze.

Surely enough, the clock shows that it is almost 5 PM, which means that she is not completely wrong. Right outside the cafe, the streets and sidewalks are bustling with people rushing off from work. Some of them would be heading home, while others would be making short stops within the shops and cafes lining up this street. More often than not, your cafe would be one of the places these people would come to visit before they would return home to their families or their empty apartments.

One of those people would be the gorgeous patron in the name of Kim Seokjin who would come into your cafe after his working hour has ended. He would have had just picked up his daughter, Soojin, from the daycare center nearby whenever he comes in, and then they would sit in one of the private booths near the side window overlooking the river with hot chocolates and cinnamon bread rolls as they watch the sunset together.

Your gaze falls on the sky outside the window, painted in misty grey over the plane of withering brown leaves spread on the horizon, and it wouldn't be long now before the sun would completely disappear behind the hills across the street from here. And it certainly would not be long before the ground would be covered with white snow and the river's surface to grow frozen, when the air would start to grow colder, and the season of cinnamon and spice would be set aside for all the holiday specials.