chapter v. vivacious

✣✣✣

chapter v. vivacious

✣✣✣

The gloomy week had disappeared from your mind almost completely when you returned to the cafe the next Monday to a much welcome surprise.

Seokjin came in late that afternoon with a pouty Soojin walking by his side. Apparently, the little princess had been irreconcilable after a whole week of being deprived of her favourite cinnamon desserts, and she had been throwing tantrums the whole day that Seokjin had no choice but to leave work early so he could take her to the cafe.

The moment you saw them coming back, it felt like the lights inside you had been switched back on and everything felt right again. You had even seen the light coming out of her the moment she saw you welcoming her and her face kept growing brighter even before she could have a bite of her dessert. While it was a huge pleasure to see them again, and to see Soojin smiling at every bite of bread she had, your breaking point had been the moment when you walked Seokjin and his girl to the front door as they were ready to leave, when Soojin suddenly wrapped her arms around your waist, holding you tight with a teary whisper saying, "I've missed you so much, Miss _______."

The way she embraced you made you feel as if there was a broken part of you inside being knitted together. If you had felt it growing inside you before whenever you spent your time with them, it had been so subtle that you simply brushed it off as the comfort you felt of being in their company. This time, it had felt intense, ardent in its presence, that it took you completely by surprise. But it wasn't until the moment you looked up to find Seokjin watching the exchange with a longing look in his eyes and a smile so warm it made you feel like perhaps it was just meant to be. That not even the hardest winter could bring you back to the darkness you had found yourself in through the holiday season as long as you had them to guide you back into the light.

And that was the moment when you began to wonder if you could give them the same thing, to continue to help mend their broken heart the way they were doing the same to you.

Their visits continued on just as regularly the way they had been before the holiday season came and went. On every other day of the week, Seokjin would bring his daughter to the cafe in the late afternoons before going home for the day or heading out to dinner. They would invite you to sit with them between the light chat they shared to either listen to Soojin's stories from the daycare center or some old funny stories about Seokjin when he was younger.

Slowly but surely, everything seems to fall into place again. The routine continues to become the usual part of your life as the season slowly changes into the next.

The weather has been growing a bit warmer for the past week. The ice had begun to melt, the frozen river has started to flow through the city, though the ground is still wet with the sprinkle of spring rain coming down on almost every afternoon.