chapter ix. sweet melody-1

✣✣✣

chapter ix. sweet melody-1

✣✣✣

You can no longer remember the last time you found yourself in a moment like this. Surrounded by nothing else but warmth that you just want to embrace it forever and curl inside it to hide away from the painful world and never let go.

You had no idea what to expect when you came back from the back kitchen to find your older brother sitting in Seokjin's booth. Never once had you ever imagined seeing both men sitting together and having a conversation the way they did, but watching it happening right in front of your eyes felt as if you were witnessing both of your worlds colliding together.

And surprisingly, you didn't find anything wrong with it at all.

It wasn't that you had been deliberately keeping them both apart. You had always noticed the way Seokjin would look curious whenever your brother was around, no doubt with tons of questions that you could have easily answered, while your brother would look quite amused whenever he saw Seokjin and to each time he had noticed you doing all you could to avoid having to introduce them to each other.

You have known that it was a wrong thing to do, even if you had told yourself that you were just taking your time with it. But there is a part of you that keeps looking at Minhyun as a part of the past. To you, his presence serves as a reminder to both all the good memories and the painful part of your past that you have been trying so hard to move on from. Meanwhile, both Seokjin and Soojin have been a huge part of your present, a part of your life that has yet to be tainted by your past memories that you simply want to keep them to stay as they were.

Pure and innocent while always breathing a new hope inside you that you would constantly feel the need to protect them from the world.

As you joined your brother and Seokjin, you had suspected that perhaps Minhyun had done it on purpose when he came to invite himself in Seokjin's company. You saw it in the glint of mirth coming out of his eyes when Seokjin insisted that you would join them and you had to give in. One hour later, you are still here, sitting right next to Seokjin while you join both men as they continue exchanging stories about families, work, and other mundane things that they both share similarities to—from hobbies, interests in movies and music, and even the terrible dad jokes that they enjoy throwing at their kids.

The conversation suddenly halts when Seokjin turns to his daughter who has insisted to move and sit between the two of you, and you both find Soojin resting her head against his arm and coming close to falling asleep. "I think someone got a little bored hearing the adults talk," Minhyun teases her, and Soojin immediately tries her best to keep her eyes open and hide her drowsiness by straightening up, only to fail.