11:37 pm

11:37 pm, September 9th, present year.

         I woke up with a start. Somebody yelled. Who yelled? I shook my head.

            My eyes adjusted to the sudden light. I heard gunshots.

            What was happening?

            The front windshield shattered in front of my eyes, and the glass fell into our seats. Hunter!

            I looked over at him and he had a determined look on his face. He was gripping the wheel and trying to keep us from going out of control.

            "Hunter! What's going on?" I screamed at him.

            He didn't take his eyes off the road, but answered shortly, "Somebody is shooting at us."

            "Obviously! What happened?"

            Before he could answer, another shot landed in the hood and smoke started to seep out. We were losing speed, but the car was in danger of blowing up.

            "Chase! Get out!"

            I threw open my door and dove out, attempting a somersault when I landed. My back hit pavement and rolled over until I hit the railing on the edge of the road. Where was Hunter? It was dark, I couldn’t see much. My eyes adjusted and I saw him on the other side of the street. I looked over towards the car. It continued to fly down the road, until the road turned. The Honda flew straight and crashed through the guide rails, diving off the side. I suddenly realized that we were on the edge of a mountain.  The car plummeted down through the air, my heart pounding. I could've still been in there.

            An ear splitting explosion ripped the air, illuminating the darkness. I stood up and looked over the side. The car had exploded in mid air and was now a fireball.

            I tried to guess where it would land. The fire lit up the area around it, and I was glad that no houses were there. However, the mountain was covered with greenery, a forest. As soon as it was close enough, a massive forest fire would erupt. As I pulled out my phone to make yet another 911 call, I heard Hunter talking.

            I walked towards him, and I heard him say, "Yes, a forest fire." He lifted the phone from his ear and covered the phone. "It’s my chief." He resumed his conversation, and I sat down again, storing my phone in my pocket.

            My hands and legs started to shake. I tried to stop it, but I couldn't. I had never been this scared before. This was the first time my life had actually been compromised. Before, Unknown had purposely missed, or not harmed me. This time though, I easily could’ve been killed. Either a bullet hitting me, or being in the car when it turned into a missile.

            Hugging my knees and setting my head on my kneecaps, I concentrated on my breathing. In. Out. In. Out. My pulse started to regulate and the shaking calmed.

            A hand nudged my shoulder. I looked up. Hunter was done talking on the phone.

            “You okay?”

            I nodded. I took one more deep breath, and then asked, “What happened?”

            “Well, you fell asleep and I was driving. Everything was fine, when suddenly a bullet hit the driver’s door and more followed. You then woke up, and you know the rest.”

            “Wow. Thank God no one was hit. We could’ve been killed!”

            “I know. It was a close call.”