5:12 am

5:12 am, September 10th, present year.

            The figure was happy. No, content. His mother was with him, and his plan was working splendidly.

            When the figure was contacted by his mother only a few days before she was captured by the Prackersburg police, the figure had been confused. The figure saw his mother die when he was a child. How could she still be alive? The figure’s father killed the figures mother! How did she survive?

            When the figure’s phone rang not more than a week ago, the figure thought nothing of it. But when the figure answered, the voice on the other end shook the figures mind. The figure thought back to the conversation on the phone.

            “Hello? Who is this?” the figure asked.

            “Son?”

            The figure didn’t reply. The figure knew that voice, but how could it be true?

            It was the voice of his mother.

            The mother who had until now, the figure thought was dead.

            “Son, are you there?”

            “I-I-I’m here.” His voice stuttered.

            “This must be a surprise to you.”

            “Yes. It is.

            “I’m sorry it’s taken so long for me to talk to you, to let you know I was alive.” Her voice was kind, non-threatening, and soothing.

            “I’m not sure I believe you’re alive.”

            “If I’m an imposter, ask me a question only your mother would know.”

            The figure held his palm over the speaker. What would only his mother know?

            “What was the last birthday present you gave me before you…” the figure didn’t finish.

            “It was a Sherlock Holmes detective kit.”

            She knew! “What was in the kit?”

            “A magnifying glass, fake powder, and a few short Sherlock stories.”

            “I don’t know who you are, but you obviously aren’t my mother. You forgot something.”

            The female voice responded, “There was usually a pair of handcuffs included, but they weren’t in your kit, so we called the company and they sent us a pair, along with a Sherlock look-alike hat. “

            It was her! “Mother, what happened?”

            “It’s a long story, and over the phone is so impersonal. When can we meet?”

            The figure snapped back to the present. It was September 10th, and he was on a mission.

*          *          *

            “Ha! Victory is mine!” I threw my last card down in triumph and smiled at Dad.