Chapter 16

Franklin rushes into the kitchen with a broom and dustpan in hand before frantically sweeping up the glass shards and wiping up the spilt wine .

I look around the kitchen in realization that theres no one here.

Vincent had left with Quinten over  an hour ago which means ...I can leave .

I jump up from my seat and nod toward Franklin. "Thank you sir !" I exclaim and rush out the kitchen .

This may he my only chance to escape this nightmare .

My eyes dart around the empty entrance of the building , dimly lit by the small chandelier hanging from the ceiling . I dart towards the door and pull on the metal door handle, pulling the heavy door open before rushing down the flight of stairs .

What would Vincent do when he realizes I'm not in the closet when he gets back ? I dont even want to think of that right now . My main focus now is to find somewhere to hide for the time being . No doubt that Vincent will hunt me down .

The cold night air nips at my exposed skin as I rush off the Fantomhive property . Hopefully for good.

The roads are a little quiet compared to earlier in the afternoon . It puts me at a disadvantage now that I can be easily spotted with no transportation. Luckily the street lights are dim and crappy .

My eyes dart around the street in panic as I try figure out my next step from here .

A tailor? They're closed .

A hall ? That's just stupid .

A bar ?

Without a second thought I rush down the road to the corner where a small little bar sits.

I burst through the door and immediately cringe at the loud noise of people laughing and yelling over terrible music being played by a local band consisting of old men who's dreams of being musicians were never fulfilled. The stench of alcohol and cigars burns my nostrils as I take slow , careful steps towards the corner of the room where I take a seat by the bar .

I notice some of the men staring at me but I pay it no mind . Not many women sit in bars unless they're offering something vile and disgusting so its understandable that men would be intrigued by the presence of a female.

My gaze keeps moving to the door , waiting for that ominous masked man to step in .

He wouldn't expect me to flee to a bar right? I'd usually pick a diner of some sort so that's the first place he'd look well except for my dorm- Beth!

I can look for a telephone and maybe call her to-

"Well hello my dear ." A thick southern accent cuts off my train of thought. "What can I get ya ?"

I look over to see the bartender leaning forward on the counter with a toothpick between his teeth . He looks at me as a fox would look at a bunny. Like I'm one of his prey .

I clear my throat in uneasiness and shift in my seat. "A water would be just fine thank you. " I smile and look back at the door.

"Sure thing darlin' ." And with that he turns around to tend to another bar fly hitting the counter with his fist as an obnoxious laugh leaves his fat throat .

I roll my eyes in disgust and keep watch of the door .

I'm glad I left . I was starting to actually care for Vincent . A cold blooded killer who is incapable of emotion .

He did confide in me and reveal that he has a mental disorder , however murder is the deal breaker . Living with a psychotic murderer isnt the best circumstance for your mental health and wellbeing. Especially when he is able to manipulate you into liking him.