Chapter 16

The sound of the phone tore through the air, surprising Jennie

The sound of the phone tore through the air, surprising Jennie. She squizzed the phone which has been ringing nonstop since yesterday from the same person, who most probably didn't know the meaning of giving up. She smiled in victory once it stopped ringing after a few moments, feeling like she won at the tiniest bit.

Stacking up the drawing blocks and files in two piles, Jennie tidied her table, getting ready for lunch. She stood up from the chair and slung her handbag over her shoulder, rubbing off the eraser crumbs on her midi dress. Tucking some hair strands behind her ears, she growled when the phone buzzed again.

60 missed calls in two days, who's doing it like Kim Taehyung?

Jennie heaved a sigh, chewing over the idea of ignoring the call for the nth time. She shook her head lightly, not wanting him to ruin her mood throughout the day with the never-ending saga of his calls, so she grasped the phone and tapped the green button, pressing the phone close to her ear.

"Hello?"

"Why didn't you answer my calls?" Taehyung impatiently snapped at her, his deep voice sounded harsh. Jennie snarled in response, hated the fact that the irascible man kept bugging her.

"Busy." Jennie retorted unenthusiastically, poking her cheek with her tongue.

"Let's have lunch together. I'll pick you up in fifteen minutes." Taehyung ordered domineeringly, not giving Jennie any chances to assent to his dictate. Jennie rolled her eyes on account of his demand, trying her best not to rudely clap back at him.

"Kim, no. I'm going out with someone else." Jennie objected him defiantly, telling him the truth and scooched down to tie her shoelaces, clutching the phone between her ear and her shoulder.

Taehyung was burning with curiosity to know the person Jennie was referring to. He was about to put the screws on her until she opened up to him when he heard a male's voice, interrupting their conversation.

"Jennie, sorry I'm late. I hope I haven't kept you waiting very long."

"Surely not, Jaehyun. I just finished amending the sketch. But, can you wait a minute?" Jennie shot the guy who was leaning against the door a quick glance and smiled apologetically. Jaehyun inclined his head, beckoning her to continue the call.

"Kim, I have to go. See you later, maybe never." Jennie bade him goodbye with a slightly lowered voice and hung up abruptly. Taehyung, on the other end of the line, snorted his disapproval to her action.

First, Jennie had disregarded him for days and now, she's going out to have lunch with a male, specifically Jeong Jaehyun. Imagining Jennie on a lunch date with Jaehyun was a torture for him, he couldn't merely simmer down while the girl was out there with another man.

•••••

"Good afternoon, Mr. Kim. What are you doing here?" Jaehyun immediately greeted Taehyung once he saw his figure approaching their table causing Jennie to choke on her food. She quickly reached her orange juice and drank it down, paying no attention to Taehyung who was already standing beside her.