≪•◦ Chapter 8 ◦•≫

It was the day of the lantern rite. Both you and Xiao were just spending your time idly like any normal day inside your restaurant.

Both you and Xiao were spending time alone together as almost all of the customers were in Liyue Harbor for the lantern rite this evening.

You were just spending your time together in a comfortable silence as you were reading a book and Xiao was practicing his skills while occasionally leaving at times to help some people before quickly coming back again.

Xiao then looked over to your focused figure as all your attention was focused on the book you were reading.

He put away his spear as he crawled over to you and peeked through the book you were reading.

Only then did you take your focus drift away from the book as you felt Xiao's warm breath trickle over your bare skin as you flinched and looked at him.

"What are you reading?" He nonchalantly asked.

"Oh..it's a book about this immortal goddess...that fell in love with a human."

That one brief description then peeked Xiao's interest as he positioned himself comfortably on the bed you sat on while sitting next to you while giving you an expectant look to tell him more about the story.

"The girl was the goddess of war. She was known to be cold with her words as she took the lives of plenty of souls. Both mortals and immortals alike."

"One day she then stumbled upon a certain human that caught her interest. And it was the first time in her hundred and hundred of years of living, that she ever truly loved and felt care for a soul."

"A mere human who could die any day, was the person the immortal goddess chose to love for the rest of her life."

Xiao then stared at her as she continued narrating the story. He knew that you enjoyed talking about things you loved. You rambled and rambled about the story making sure not to miss any inportant details.

You then halted your words as you saw the lights of lanterns floating out in the sky through your window.

You stared at it as if you were starring at such a phenomenal thing out the window as Xiao seemed to notice this.

"They're beautiful.." you said in awe as Xiao looked out the window only to place his gaze back at you who were staring at the sky so lovingly.

He then took your hand and brought you out of the restaurant. He then started carring you bridal style as you flinched and stared at him shocked.

"Hold tight." He said before jumping up really high which made you cling onto him as you wrapped both of your arms around his neck on instinct.

Xiao then landed both of you on the roof of your restaurant and he gently sat you so that you could properly see the lanterns as he sat beside you.

You stared at the lanterns as they seemed even brighter from up here.

The wishes and dreams of the people, all floating in the sky like a million fireflies dancing around.

You stared at the lanterns as if it were the most beautiful thing you laid your eyes on.

But for Xiao, it was you...

You were the most beautiful thing he ever laid his eyes on in all his years of living.

He looked over to you as you happily stared at the lanterns in awe as the light of the lanterns beautifully shone upon you.

He didn't know why.

Maybe it was the way you would suddenly tease him then get flustered all of a sudden by what you did.

Or the way you would smile when he complemented your cooking.

The way you listened so eagerly to all the tales of those around you.

The actions you made whenever you couldn't get what you wanted to say and ended up saying a word that completely didn't exist in the end.

The way you would get so focused when you're doing something you love. Just like when you cook or read.

Or the way you smiled so lovingly about even the smallest things that most wouldn't even spare a milisecond to look at.

Just like the way you spent each day getting to know him when no one even took the effort to get to know him deep inside.

He still didn't know why. But he knew what he felt. In that very moment, he never felt so sure of anything else.

He moved in closer to you as he wrapped both his arms around your body and laid your head against his chest.

He held you gently but lovingly as if he was holding the most delicate flower in his arms.

"Xiao..?"

"I...

...I love you."