Chapter 27

Chapter 27

I sip my chai latte as I listen to Mel and Marleigh talk about... I don't even know what they're talking about. I have completely zoned off into my own thoughts of deep madness and nerves. Complete nerves.

It's been a few days since Finn agreed to come home with me and I'm still in the same amount of shock but now neverending butterflies to top it off. As soon as we got back to our dorm that night, I had turned to him and said, "You can't tease me like that."

"What?" He had asked, his confusion displayed clearly. He didn't even know what I was talking about.

"Coming home with me? You can't be serious." I was almost mad, I had no clue where the anger came from. Maybe I was just scared and defensive. I obviously have issues with that.

"Atlas, why would I agree if I didn't mean it?" He asked as he stepped towards me with hesitation. When he had reached his arms out and pulled me into a gentle hug, I had melted, as expected. I didn't waste any time before I circled my arms around him back.

"I thought that would be too much for you." I muttered, still in his embrace. I could smell the smokey pine of his hair and the almost sweet cologne he wore on his clothes. It surrounded me and I wished I could drown in his smell.

"What? Having more than eight hours?" He asked, pulling back a bit to look me in the eyes. I nodded wordlessly and he pressed his lips together in thought. "Honestly, I didn't think about it. I just heard a week with you in New Orleans would be amazing."

"It would be," I agreed then decided to test the waters. "Would your parents be okay with that?"

I could see his face darken almost instantly but he quickly masked it, "Not gonna tell him." Was all he had said. He said "him" so I'm guessing he just means his dad. I had to hold in the desire to ask him a million different questions as I simply nodded, not pushing it.

My stomach twisted as I shook myself away from the memory and looked down at my latte. Over the past few months he has barely ever mentioned his parents, never his mom. I bite my lip as my eyes skimmed over the coffee house we were at. I brought Melanie here because I was meant to study with Marleigh. Mel is always saying how she can't study by herself because she needs to see other's studying to motivate her. How she got into NYU is beyond me but I've never heard her complain about her grades so she's either a secret genius or just doesn't care.

The studying quickly dissipated once Mel saw Marleigh's phone case which apparently has someone called Matthew Gray Gubler on it. I have know clue who he is but I laughed when I heard his name then quickly dove into my own head after that.

"The episode where his girlfriend got shot was so sad!" Marleigh says sadly. My head spun towards her as my eyebrows raise in confusion.

"What?" I ask them.

"I don't remember inviting you to this conversation." Mel says, rolling her eyes with a slight tease in her voice.

"You're only having this conversation because I let you come!" I shoot back and this makes Marleigh laugh.

Mel glares at me as she says, "You did not 'let me come' you invited me!"

"I did not!" I laugh and she pushes my arm. "I mentioned I was going out and you had your shoes on in two seconds flat! A second later you were on my ass out the door."

She snorts but it's cut off by a yawn, "Yeah, yeah. I could see it in your eyes that you wanted me here."

It was my turn to snort, "Melanie you've barely studied! How are you already tired?"