Chapter 13

Chapter 13

"Over here!" Finn yells towards me across the ice.

I keep my head up and look around for the open pass. I see him open near center ice and pass the puck in his direction.

Finn catches the puck on his stick with ease and he goes to deke out the other team, but a play on the other team lifts his stick and steals the puck away from Finn.

I hear Finn curse across the ice as I state back towards our end of the ice. I watch the puck with hawk eyes as the player passes the puck up to their own center.

Todd tries to steal the puck back but the other player is too good. I watch as the opposing player winds up and slap shots the puck into our net. They scored. A second later, the buzzer goes off and the game is over.

I sigh as we all skate towards our goalie, Garret, to tell him that it wasn't his fault.

We versed Columbia today and it was the first time we've lost a game in the few weeks that we have been playing. Coach Ben warned us that the Ivy League schools were good, but I didn't realize that they would be THAT good.

"Thanks a lot, Finn." Brian scowls at the boy next to me as we skate off the ice and towards our dressing rooms.

"How was that my fault?" Finn gasps.

"If you would've just kept the puck on your stick, this wouldn't have happened." Brian explains.

"No, Finn's right." Todd says from behind us. We all walk into the the dressing room and take our seats in front of our bags. "I was playing defense, I could've done better to get the puck away."

"Listen up boys!" Coach Ben says as he walks into the dressing room with our assistant coach, Derek and Candice. "Our loss tonight was nobody's fault."

This causes Brian to scoff and Coach looks over him with a raised eyebrow.

"Do you have something to say, Brian?" He asks him and Brian shakes his head.

"I've rented the ice for Wednesday night so we can have a practice. I think it would do us good if we got some extra ice time." Coach Ben says and Derek and Candice nod their heads.

"For what time?" Finn asks. Finn has class on Wednesdays until six.

"Not until eight, I wanted to make sure everyone could make it." Coach says and this causes Finn to smile. I can't help but smile while watching Finn.

Our coaches and trainer leave a few minutes later and Finn and I change quickly so we can head back to our dorms. The two of us catch the campus bus quickly and we stay silent as the bus weaves through the small city of school buildings.

"How was the game?" Erika asks as we walk into our room, lugging our hockey bags and sticks behind us.

"Oh, that can't be good." Mel says as she notices the disappointment clear on our faces.

"That bad?" Erika says, standing up from the couch and walking over to us.

"We lost. They got five goals and we got one." Finn breaks our silence as he heads towards the supply closet, where we have been keeping our bags lately because they were smelling up our rooms.

"That's not that bad," Mel bites her lip and scans our faces once again.

"It was our first time playing an Ivy League team, we didn't think we would lose that bad." I say as I chuck my things into the supply closet.

"How about you guys shower up and we spend our Saturday night the class college way." Erika smirks evilly, causing Finn and I to shoot each other.